Bill Johnson (pastor)
January 1, 1951 |
|Subject||Theology, Revival, Healing|
Johnson was born in Minnesota in 1951 and became a Christian as a young child. Soon after, Johnson read seven books on prayer, which significantly affected his perspective and subsequent ministry.
Johnson's father, Melvin Earl Johnson (1929-2004) was the senior pastor at Bethel Church in Redding from 1968-1982 and subsequently became Executive Officer of the Northern California/Nevada District Council of the Assemblies of God. Earl Johnson had four children, all of whom are in full-time ministry.
Bill Johnson and his wife have three children: Eric, Brian and Leah.
While pastoring in Weaverville, Johnson attended a 1987 conference led by John Wimber, founder of the Vineyard Church Movement. According to Johnson "A number of healings and manifestations broke out and I didn't know what to do with it. I didn't object to it, I wasn't opposed to it; I just didn't know how to pastor it in a way that it would continue and increase".
In 1995, Johnson attended the Toronto Blessing revival at the Toronto Airport Vineyard church. Johnson relates: "In Toronto I said, 'Lord, if You touch me again I will never change the subject.' So I went up for prayer every time it was offered. I didn't have anything dramatic happen, but I came home and said, 'I am going to give the rest of my life to this.'"
In February 1996, after 17 years of leading the Weaverville church, the Johnsons were invited to become senior pastors of Bethel. Today Johnson describes Bethel as a church where "everything we do either fuels revival or is fueled by revival." Under his leadership, Bethel left the Assemblies of God in 2006 to become a nondenominational charismatic church.
According to a recent book written by Johnson, "Face to Face with God", Bethel is "a church where supernatural encounters with God happen regularly, miracles are common, and the congregation has an infectious passion for spiritual growth." The church has approximately 1,500 members, and a School of Supernatural Ministry.
Testimonies form a regular part of Johnson's ministry.
Bethel Church and Johnson are greatly involved in the Third Wave movement and have been featured in video segments by Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN) and Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN). The segments reviewed the church's approach to outreach.
Their Bethel School of Supernatural Ministry has 1,200 students enrolled with over 370 from other countries. Johnson leads a network of churches dedicated to global, multi-generational revival, Global Legacy. Johnson has written a number of books and travels extensively as a featured revival conference speaker. Johnson is also involved with the Northern California Revival Fellowship, a group of north Californian pastors committed to revival.
- When Heaven Invades Earth (Destiny Image Publishers, 2003) ISBN 0-7684-2952-8
- The Supernatural Power of a Transformed Mind (Destiny Image Publishers, 2005) ISBN 0-7684-2252-3
- When Heaven Invades Earth Devotional & Journal (Destiny Image Publishers, August 2005) ISBN 0-7684-2297-3
- Shifting Shadow of Supernatural Power: A Prophetic Manual for Those Wanting to Move in God's Supernatural Power (co-author) (Destiny Image Publishers, August 2006) ISBN 0-7684-2369-4
- Dreaming With God (Destiny Image, December 2006) ISBN 0-7684-2399-6
- The Supernatural Ways of Royalty (co-author) (Destiny Image Publishers, 2006) ISBN 0-7684-2323-6
- The Supernatural Power of a Transformed Mind 40-Day Devotional and Personal Journal (Destiny Image, September 2006) ISBN 0-7684-2399-6 ISBN 0-7684-2375-9
- Here Comes Heaven!: A Kid's Guide to God's Supernatural Power (co-author) (Destiny Image, October 2007) ISBN 0-7684-2502-6
- Face to Face with God (Charisma House, 2007) ISBN 978-1-59979-070-1
- Strengthen Yourself in The Lord (Destiny Image Publishers, 2007) ISBN 0-7684-2427-5
- A Life of Miracles: A 365 day guide to prayer and miracles (Destiny Image, February 2008) ISBN 978-0-7684-2612-0
- Strengthen Yourself in the Lord (Audio Book) (Destiny Image, February 2008) ISBN 0-7684-2610-3
- Release the Power of Jesus ISBN 978-0-7684-2712-7
- The Essential Guide to Healing (co-author) (Chosen Books, 2011) ISBN 978-0-8007-9519-1
- Hosting the presence (destiny image, ISBN 9780768441291
- Crowe, John (1999-03-07). "A family calling". Redding Record Searchlight (Redding, California: Record Searchlight). Retrieved 2008-06-01.
- "Bill and Beni Johnson - Senior Management Team - Bethel Church in Redding, CA". Ibethel.org. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- Why Pray; Recorded Monday February 11, 2008 in the 10:45 AM Service. Why Pray; retrieved March 27, 2008
- Schultz, Jim (2004-01-23). "Pastor was endearing to those he touched". Redding Record Searchlight (Redding, California: Record Searchlight).
- [dead link]
- Johnson, Earl (2000-09-01). "A Godly heritage: The family of Earl and Darliene Johnson" (PDF). Assemblies of God Heritage (Springfield, Missouri: Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center). ISSN 0896-4394. Retrieved 2008-06-01.
- Johnson, Bill (1998-12-19). "Jesus only needs our open hearts". Redding Record Searchlight (Redding, California: Record Searchlight).
- Flinchbaugh, C. Hope (2007-03-01). "Ignite the Fire". Charisma (Lake Mary, Florida: Strang Communications). ISSN 0279-0424. Retrieved 2008-04-05.
- [dead link]
- Take Your Place, Angela Kline (Xulon Press, February 2009)
- "CBN Video: Living a Life of Miracles". Cbn.com. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "CBN Video: Miracles Outside the Church Walls". Cbn.com. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- Bethel Church, Redding, California, USA. "Global Legacy". Igloballegacy.org. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- Loren, Julia (2005-03-01). "California Fire". Charisma (Lake Mary, Florida: Strang Communications). ISSN 0279-0424. Retrieved 2008-04-06.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Bill Johnson (pastor)|