Billy Joe Saunders
|Billy Joe Saunders|
Saunders in 2011
|Real name||Billy Joe Saunders|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 in)|
30 August 1989 |
Welwyn Garden City,
|Wins by KO||11|
Billy Joe Saunders (born 30 August 1989) is a British boxer, who qualified for the 2008 Beijing Olympics after a distinguished amateur career. He is the current British, Commonwealth and EBU champion in the middleweight division, and remains undefeated as a professional.
In 2008 Saunders qualified for the Beijing Olympics in the welterweight division at the age of 18. Saunders qualified at the European area qualifier in Pescara, Italy. He beat European champion Andrey Balanov and Kakhaber Zhvania, he lost his semi to Oleksandr Stretskyy before beating the Slovakian, Pavol Hlavacka for the all-important third spot. He went to Beijing as the first person from the British Romanichal community to qualify for the games, where he was defeated in the second round of the welterweight division. He was subsequently suspended for "lewd behaviour", allegedly pertaining to an incident with a local woman during a pre-season training camp in France. In early December 2008, Saunders turned professional and signed with promoter Frank Warren.
Saunders made his professional debut on 28 February 2009 at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham, against Attila Molnar. Saunders looked confident from the opening bell, landing hard combinations which quickly overwhelmed Molnar. In round two, a series of punches that landed flush on Molnar's chin caused the referee to stop the fight and save a dazed Molnar. Saunders won his second fight by second-round stoppage of Ronny Gabel and his third fight, also by second round stoppage, of Matt Scriven. On 9 October 2009, he went four full rounds to outpoint Alex Spitko. On 21 May 2011, he scored an impressive second-round knockout victory over Kevin Hammond. Saunders went on to score wins against Norbert Szekeres, Gary Boulden and Tony Hill, the last of these giving him his seventh professional knockout victory and his first major regional title, the Commonwealth middleweight championship, on 28 April 2012. For his first defence of the title, on 1 June, Saunders went the full twelve-round distance (also a first) against veteran Bradley Pryce, outpointing him comfortably. A then-undefeated Jarrod Fletcher was quickly dispatched in two rounds on 14 September.
On 15 December, Saunders fought Nick Blackwell for the vacant British middleweight title. This turned out to be one of Saunders' first tough outings, as he was forced to go the full twelve rounds en route to a competitive unanimous decision victory on the judges' scorecards. A pair of trouble-free fights came next, against tough slugger Matthew Hall on 21 March 2013 and Gary O'Sullivan on 20 July, both of which also lasted twelve full rounds. 2013 concluded for Saunders with another tough fight on 21 September, this time against fellow British prospect John Ryder in defence of both the Commonwealth and British middleweight titles. Both fighters came in undefeated and fought for twelve competitive rounds, with very close scorecards all favouring Saunders.
It would be almost another year until Saunders had his next fight. On 26 July 2014 he added to his title collection with an eighth-round knockout of Emanuele Blandamura, earning him the European middleweight title. Immediately after the Blandamura fight, Saunders called out another undefeated British prospect and arch rival Chris Eubank, Jr. Prolonged negotiations ensued between Frank Warren and Eubank, Jr.'s team (led by his father Chris Eubank, Sr.), with the highly anticipated fight eventually signed in October and taking place on 29 November. All three of Saunders' titles were on the line, as well as being an eliminator for the WBO world middleweight title. The rivalry and build-up was likened to the first fight between Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank in 1990. Saunders went on to defeat Eubank, Jr. via split decision; two judges had scores of 115–114 and 115–113 for Saunders, with the third judge scoring 116–113 for Eubank, Jr.
Professional boxing record
|21 wins (11 knockouts, 9 decisions), 0 losses, 0 draws|
|Win||21–0||Chris Eubank, Jr.||SD||12||2014-11-29||ExCeL Arena, London, United Kingdom||WBO World middleweight title eliminator.
Retained EBU, Commonwealth and BBBofC middleweight titles.
|Win||20–0||Emanuele Blandamura||KO||8 (12), 2:58||2014-07-26||Phones 4u Arena, Manchester, United Kingdom||Won vacant EBU middleweight title.|
|Win||19–0||John Ryder||UD||12||2013-09-21||Copper Box Arena, London, United Kingdom||Retained Commonwealth and BBBofC middleweight titles.|
|Win||18–0||Gary O'Sullivan||UD||12||2013-07-20||Wembley Arena, London, United Kingdom||Won WBO International middleweight title.|
|Win||17–0||Matthew Hall||UD||12||2013-03-21||York Hall, London, United Kingdom||Retained Commonwealth and BBBofC middleweight titles.|
|Win||16–0||Nick Blackwell||UD||12||2012-12-15||ExCeL Arena, London, United Kingdom||Retained Commonwealth middleweight title.
Won BBBofC middleweight title.
|Win||15–0||Jarrod Fletcher||TKO||2 (12), 2:42||2012-09-14||York Hall, London, United Kingdom||Retained Commonwealth middleweight title.|
|Win||14–0||Bradley Pryce||UD||12||2012-06-01||York Hall, London, United Kingdom||Retained Commonwealth middleweight title.|
|Win||13–0||Tony Hill||TKO||1 (10), 0:30||2012-04-28||Royal Albert Hall, London, United Kingdom||Won vacant Commonwealth middleweight title.|
|Win||12–0||Tommy Tolan||TKO||1 (8), 1:07||2011-12-14||Royal Albert Hall, London, United Kingdom|
|Win||11–0||Gary Boulden||PTS||10||2011-11-05||Wembley Arena, London, United Kingdom||Won BBBofC Southern Area middleweight title.|
|Win||10–0||Norbert Szekeres||TKO||1 (8), 2:51||2011-10-15||Echo Arena, Liverpool, United Kingdom|
|Win||9–0||Kevin Hammond||TKO||2 (8), 3:00||2011-05-21||The O2 Arena, London, United Kingdom|
|Win||8–0||Turgay Uzun||RTD||2 (8), 3:00||2011-04-02||York Hall, London, United Kingdom|
|Win||7–0||Tony Randell||TKO||2 (6), 0:39||2010-12-11||Echo Arena, Liverpool, United Kingdom|
|Win||6–0||Andy Butlin||PTS||6||2010-05-15||Boleyn Ground, London, United Kingdom|
|Win||5–0||Lee Noble||PTS||6||2009-12-05||Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom|
|Win||4–0||Alex Spitko||PTS||4||2009-10-09||York Hall, London, United Kingdom|
|Win||3–0||Matt Scriven||TKO||2 (4), 1:21||2009-07-18||MEN Arena, Manchester, United Kingdom|
|Win||2–0||Ronny Gabel||TKO||2 (4), 1:16||2009-05-15||The Odyssey, Belfast, Northern Ireland|
|Win||1–0||Attila Molnar||TKO||2 (4), 1:47||2009-02-28||National Indoor Arena, Birmingham, United Kingdom||Professional debut.|
Titles in boxing
Title last held byMartin Murray
|Commonwealth middleweight champion
28 April 2012 – present
Title last held byMartin Murray
|British middleweight champion
15 December 2012 – present
Title last held byVitor Sa
|WBO International middleweight champion
20 July 2013 – present
Title last held byMax Bursak
|EBU middleweight champion
26 July 2014 – present
- Hart, Simon (2008-02-17). "Billy Joe Saunders after Beijing Olympic gold". The Daily Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. Retrieved 2014-11-04.
- "Saunders one fight from Beijing". Ipswich Star. Archant. 2008-02-28. Retrieved 2014-11-04.
- "Billy Joe Saunders wants to be first Gypsy world champion". BBC Sport. BBC. 2014-09-03. Retrieved 2014-11-04.
- "CommonwealthChamps2007". Amateur-boxing.strefa.pl. Retrieved 2011-09-06.
- "Strandjata2008". Amateur-boxing.strefa.pl. Retrieved 2011-09-06.
- "BBC SPORT | Olympics | GB boxers secure Beijing places". BBC News. 2008-03-01. Retrieved 2011-09-06.
- "European Olympic Qualifications - 1 - Pescara, Italy". Amateur-boxing.strefa.pl. Retrieved 2011-09-06.
- Dennis, Chris (2008-03-18). "Bbc Sport". BBC News. Retrieved 2011-09-06.
- "BBC SPORT | Olympics | Boxing | Boxer Saunders protests innocence". BBC News. 2008-08-21. Retrieved 2011-09-06.
- "Boxing Results and Boxing News". BoxingNews365. Retrieved 2011-09-06.
- "Billy Joe Saunders Next Fight". BoxingReplays. Retrieved 2014-10-04.
- Davies, Gareth A. (2014-11-28). "Billy Joe Saunders vs Chris Eubank Jnr – where the fight will be won and lost". The Daily Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. Retrieved 2014-11-29.
- Barnett, Phil (2014-07-27). "Billy Joe Saunders overcomes Emanuele Blandamura for European Middleweight Title". Daily Mail. DMG Media. Retrieved 2014-11-29.
- "Saunders: If Chris Eubank Jr. Has a Pair, Let's Fight!". BoxingScene. Retrieved 2014-11-29.
- Warren, Frank (2014-10-09). "Frank Warren column: Dealing with Chris Eubank was a nightmare but we've finally got Billy Joe Saunders vs Eubank Jr signed". The Independent. Retrieved 2014-11-29.
- Dooley, Terence (2014-11-29). "Looking Back at The Year Leading Up To Benn-Eubank". BoxingScene. Retrieved 2014-11-29.
- "Billy Joe Saunders - Boxer". Boxrec.com. Retrieved 2011-09-06.