||This article has an unclear citation style. (September 2013)|
|Industry||Internet Software & Services|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, United States|
BitTorrent, Inc., headquartered in San Francisco, California, is a privately held American company that is responsible for the ongoing development of the BitTorrent peer-to-peer protocol, as well as the ongoing development of µTorrent and BitTorrent Mainline, two clients for that protocol.
BitTorrent is a peer-to-peer computer program developed by Bram Cohen and BitTorrent, Inc. that is used for uploading and downloading files via the BitTorrent protocol. BitTorrent was the first client written for the protocol. It is often nicknamed Mainline by developers, denoting its official origins. Since version 6.0, the BitTorrent client has been a rebranded version of µTorrent. As a result, it is no longer open source and is currently available for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X.
On December 7, 2006, µTorrent was purchased by BitTorrent, Inc., as it was announced on their official forum.
Plus versions of BitTorrent and μTorrent are premium versions of the software with additional features that are downloaded and installed when the user upgrades for $24.95 USD. Pre-sales for Plus were announced November 29, 2011 and the upgrade became available December 8, 2011.
When a user upgrades to the Plus version of BitTorrent or μTorrent they enable the following features:
- Anti-virus protection for acquired .torrent files
- Integrated HD media player
- Transcoding capability with media codecs
- Remote access to files in the client's library
BitTorrent Sync is a peer-to-peer file synchronization tool running on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It can sync files between computers on a local network, or between remote users over the Internet.
The BitTorrent Sync pre-Alpha program, announced in January 2013, was opened to general users on April 23, 2013. On November 23, 2013, BitTorrent announced the release of version 1.2 of the client along with a beta version of the BitTorrent Sync API.
The company has released "Bundles" with artists such as Linkin Park, Pixies, Public Enemy, and Madonna. The Madonna Bundle, entitled secretprojectrevolution, was released on September 24, 2013 and consisted of the 17-minute film of the same name, stills from the film, and an option for those users who submit their email addresses and make a donation that also includes HD and 2K versions of the film, a VICE interview, and a message from Madonna.
On September 17, 2013, the company launched "BitTorrent Bundles for Publishers", an alpha program for content creators to distribute bundles of any size and file type using the BitTorrent client.
On September 26, 2014, Thom Yorke released his album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes as the first paid Bundle, priced at $6.00 USD. On October 3, 2014, it was announced that the project had been downloaded over 1 million times, which included the free single and video plus the paid downloads; sales numbers have not been released.
BitTorrent Live (beta)
Currently in open beta, BitTorrent Live was first announced in September 2011, and was first publicly tested on October 14, 2011. BitTorrent premiered Live in public beta in March 2013. The platform is currently used to showcase live streaming events of musical acts and DJs.
On January 5, 2012, SoShare was released in alpha as "Share" within the μTorrent client, as a standalone desktop client and as a plug-in based web client. On February 15, 2013, the SoShare beta was launched and repositioned as a user-friendly web application that uses the BitTorrent protocol, designed for creative industry professionals to share high-res photos, files and videos using the app's email system or public links. From the official website, the service messages that registered users can send file bundles containing up to one terabyte of data per send, for free.
Other products and services
BitTorrent, Inc. also offers BitTorrent DNA (Delivery Network Accelerator), a free content delivery service based on the BitTorrent protocol that allows content providers to distribute their content using the bandwidth of their users.
Additionally, BitTorrent Inc. licenses its technology and brands to corporate customers. The BitTorrent Software Development Kit (SDK) for Devices enables partners to integrate BitTorrent technology into their hardware products.
Awards & recognitions
In February 2013, BitTorrent was listed among the top 50 "Most Innovative Companies 2013" by Fast Company, for "using its power to help artists who get it."
BitTorrent Inc. also promotes development of the BitTorrent protocol through R&D and open specifications. Protocol development discussions are hosted on http://www.bittorrent.org. BitTorrent Inc. also contributes through more broadly focused standards bodies like the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) at the LEDBAT working group http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ledbat-charter.html
According to the company's website, BitTorrent Inc. has announced partnerships with many companies, including, for venture capital, Accel Partners and DCM, technology partners ESA Flash Components, NTL:Telewest, Opera Software, and device partners Buffalo Technology, D-Link, I-O Data, Marvell Semiconductors, Netgear, Planex Communications Inc., and QNAP Systems, Inc.
- BitTorrent, a peer-to-peer file sharing protocol used for distributing data
- μTorrent, a freeware closed source BitTorrent client by BitTorrent, Inc.
- BitTorrent, a freeware closed source BitTorrent client by BitTorrent, Inc.
- BitTorrent DNA, a "Delivery Network Accelerator"
- Comparison of BitTorrent clients
- "FAQ: How can µTorrent be so small and so fast?". BitTorrent, Inc. Retrieved December 16, 2009.
- "BitTorrent Inc Buys uTorrent". TorrentFreak. December 7, 2006. Retrieved December 16, 2009.
- "µTorrent Plus, µTorrent 3.1 (Free), and BitTorrent Plus…(and the Kitchen Sink) | The Official BitTorrent Blog". Blog.bittorrent.com. October 15, 2012. Retrieved October 25, 2012.
- "uTorrent Plus Goes on Pre-Sale for $24.95". TorrentFreak. November 29, 2011. Retrieved October 25, 2012.
- "Delivering the World's Content". BitTorrent. Retrieved October 25, 2012.
- "Delivering the Worls's Content". BitTorrent. Retrieved October 25, 2012.
- Protalinski, Emil (2013-11-05). "With over 1 million users and 30PB synced, BitTorrent speeds up Sync, adds iPad support, and debuts an API". The Next Web. Archived from the original on 2014-01-25. Retrieved 2014-08-30.
BitTorrent today announced the release of the BitTorrent Sync Beta API as well as version 1.2 of the client...
- Caitlin McGarry (September 17, 2013). "BitTorrent and Madonna join forces for free speech". TechHive. IDG Consumer & SMB. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- Jeremy Gordon (September 26, 2014). "Thom Yorke Releases New Album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes Via BitTorrent". Pitchfork. Pitchfork. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Stan Schroeder (October 3, 2014). "Thom Yorke's BitTorrent Release Hits 1 Million Downloads". Mashable. Mashable. Retrieved October 3, 2014.
- "BitTorrent Live". live.bittorrent.com. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- "R&D Live Streaming Test Friday | The Official BitTorrent Blog". Blog.bittorrent.com. Retrieved October 25, 2012.
- "BitTorrent Premieres New Live Streaming Platform". TorrentFreak. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- "Join Us in the BitTorrent Live Studio with DJ Dragon Fly and VJ Kai | The Official BitTorrent Blog". Blog.bittorrent.com. Retrieved October 25, 2012.
- January 5, 2012 - 12:00PM PT (January 5, 2012). "BitTorrent takes on Dropbox with personal file sharing — Tech News and Analysis". Gigaom.com. Retrieved October 25, 2012.
- March 13, 2013 - 12:00PM PT (February 15, 2013). "BitTorrent Sharpens Enterprise Focus, Launches SoShare To Send Large Files, Offering First Terabyte Free". techcrunch.com. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- BitTorrent DNA
- BitTorrent » SDK for Devices
- Red Herring Releases Short-List of Finalists for the "Red Herring 100 North America" Awards
- "BitTorrent SDK for Next-Gen Devices". DCI 18 (3): –. June 25, 2007.
- Eric Schumacher-Rasmussen (November 2007). "The 2007 Streaming Media Readers' Choice Awards Winners". Streaming Media magazine: –.
- Lead411 launches "Hottest Companies in San Francisco" awards
- Fast Company "Most Innovative Companies 2013"
- Partners. Bittorrent Inc.
- BitTorrent Inc. Launches the BitTorrent Entertainment Network. Press release. BitTorrent Inc. February 26, 2007.