"libTorrent" redirects here. It is not to be confused with libtorrent
rTorrent is a text-based ncurses BitTorrent client written in C++, based on the libTorrent libraries for Unix, whose author's goal is “a focus on high performance and good code”.
The library differentiates itself from other implementations by transferring data directly between file pages mapped to memory by the mmap() function and the network stack. On high-bandwidth connections, it claims to be able to seed at 3 times the speed of the official client.
rTorrent packages are available for various Linux distributions and Unix-like systems, and it will compile and run on nearly every POSIX-compliant operating system, such as FreeBSD and Mac OS X.
rTorrent uses ncurses and is suitable for use with screen; it uses commands such as Carriage return to load a torrent, after which ^S can be used to start a torrent (where ^ is shorthand for Ctrl key), Backspace can be used to automatically start a torrent once it is loaded, making a subsequent issue of ^S unnecessary, ^K for stop, and ^D for pause, or if already paused or stopped, ^D again to delete the torrent. It supports saving of sessions and allows the user to add and remove torrents. It also supports partial downloading of multi-file torrents. In the release of rTorrent-0.7.0 support for BitTorrent protocol encryption was also implemented. PEX, DHT and initial seeding were recently implemented in rTorrent.
rTorrent can be controlled via XML-RPC over SCGI.
- ruTorrent - an advanced flexible WebUI for rTorrent
- rtGui - the original web-based interface for rTorrent, written in PHP
- rTWi - a web UI for rTorrent, written in PHP
- wTorrent - an abandoned, folded web UI for rTorrent
- nTorrent - an abandoned rTorrent GUI for Linux, Mac and Windows users
- Nativa - an rTorrent GUI for Mac users, similar to Transmission's GUI
- pyrt - an Python-based self-served web UI, designed to use a local socket file and provide its own webserver, best suited to shared environments like virtual private servers or shared seedboxes
- RTPG — web-interface for rTorrent, writen on perl;
- πϱTorrent (pyroTorrent) - an advanced web interface for rTorrent, written in Python.
- avalanche-rt an rTorrent GUI for Linux users.
- Comparison of BitTorrent software
- ^ rakshasa (20 April 2012). "Bumped version to 0.9.2.". github.com. Retrieved 23 June 2012.
- ^ a b c Jari Sundell. "The libTorrent and rTorrent Project".
- ^ "RTorrent User Guide".
- ^ Jari Sundell (2006-12-13). "LibTorrent 0.11.0 and rTorrent 0.7.0 released".