Boys Town Gang
|Boys Town Gang|
|Origin||San Francisco, California|
|Labels||High Fashion Music, Moby Dick Records, Fantasy Records|
|Members||Cynthia Manley (1980-81)
Jackson Moore (1981-84)
Tom Morley (1980-84)
Bruce Carlton (1981-84)
The Boys Town Gang were a San Francisco based disco and Hi-NRG band. Their popularity peaked in the 1980s, when the group reached number 5 on Billboard's Hot Dance Club Play chart with the single "Cruisin' the Streets", and number 4 in the UK Singles chart and number 1 in the Netherlands with their cover version of "Can't Take My Eyes Off You".
In 1980 DJ Bill Motley saw an opportunity to form a group that catered to San Francisco's large gay clientele. In his search to form a group he auditioned hundreds of vocalists, both male and female. Local cabaret singer Cynthia Manley captured the lead spot.
The idea was originally for one 12" single with two tracks of high energy music. Motley, a Diana Ross fan, picked two Ashford & Simpson songs to form a medley for the A-side. For the B-side he wrote a disco drama in four acts. A record label was founded to release the two songs.
When "Remember Me" / "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" was released the song took off, with Manley's vocals propelling the song into the top of the club charts. The four-act explicit "Cruisin' The Streets" was a snapshot of Castro and Market Streets at sundown.
Manley departed after the release of these two records and Jackson Moore took over lead vocal responsibilities in 1981.
On the records "Remember Me" / "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and "Cruisin' The Streets" Cynthia Manley provided lead vocals with Robin Charin, Don Wood, Phill Manganello, Tom Morley and Keith Stewart providing back-up.
From the 1981 album Disc Charge and onwards Jackson Moore was lead singer with Tom Morley and Bruce Carlton as back-up.
- 1981: "Remember Me" / "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"
- 1981: "Cruisin' The Streets"
- 1981: "You're The One" / "Disco Kicks"
- 1982: "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You"
- 1981: "Come and Get Your Love"
- 1982: "Jump Shout" / "Rocket To Your Heart" / "Disco Kicks"
- 1982: "Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)"
- 1983: "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" / "I Just Can't Help Believing" / "Die Hard Lover" / "When Will I See You Again"
- 1984: "Brand New Me" / "In And Out of Love"
- 1984: "Dance Trance Medley" / "A Good Man (Is Hard To Find)"
- 1984: "Yester-Me, Yester-You, Yesterday" / "When I Was Young"
- 1981: Cruisin' The Streets
- 1982: Disc Charge
- 1984: A Cast Of Thousands