Brian Cannon is a British graphic designer, art director, band manager and music video director. He is best known for his Microdot graphic design company and its work in the 1990s, which created the album cover for Oasis' record breaking debut album, Definitely Maybe, in 1994.
Two of Cannon's record sleeve designs—Definitely Maybe (#14) and "This Is Music" (#79)—featured in Q magazine's "The Hundred Best Record Covers Of All Time" list published in 2001. He is noted for "his grandiose, ridiculously time-consuming (photo) shoots", and has produced a number of record sleeves for UK number one albums, including Urban Hymns (The Verve) and 1977 (Ash), along with two further Oasis albums—(What's The Story) Morning Glory? and Be Here Now.
He has also designed record sleeves for Ruthless Rap Assassins, Suede and Super Furry Animals, and is the former manager of the now-defunct Scottish experimental rock group, The Beta Band.
He is currently (2011) celebrating 21 years since the establishment of Microdot and alongside his work for the music industry & corporate sectors regularly lectures at British universities.
Cannon was given The Lifetime Achievement Award by the global Annual Design Awards in November 2011.
- "Brian Cannon> Credits (ARTISTdirect)". Artistdirect. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- Baker, Trevor (April 21, 2008). "Feature: The dying art of record sleeve design". Guardian News and Media Limited. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- O'Connor, Mickey (March 14, 2001). "Feature: Cover Story". Time Inc. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- "Verve, The - Urban Hymns". discogs. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- "Ash - 1977". discogs. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- "Oasis (2) - (What's The Story) Morning Glory?". discogs. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- "Ruthless Rap Assassins - And It Wasn't A Dream". discogs. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- "Suede - We Are The Pigs". discogs. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- "Beta Band Biography". IPC Media. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- "The Beta Band: Biography". MSN Music. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
|This biographical article about a graphic designer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|