CN Tower (Edmonton)
|Architectural style||International Style|
|Location||10004 104 Ave NW
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
|Opening||February 14, 1966|
($73.8 million in 2014 dollars)
|Roof||110.92 m (363.9 ft)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Abugov & Sunderland|
|Main contractor||Hashman Construction Ltd.|
CN Tower is an office tower in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It stands at 111 metres (364 ft) or 26 storeys tall, and was built and formerly owned by the Canadian National Railway Company. At the time of its construction it was the first skyscraper in Edmonton, and the tallest building in Western Canada. Its reign as Edmonton's tallest building lasted from 1966 to 1971.
Designed by Abugov & Sunderland, it was western Canada's tallest office tower when completed in 1966. It is now owned by Strategic Group, and the last remaining CN employees moved out of the building in 2008.
Built to overlook the old Canadian National rail yard, the building's basement once housed Edmonton's main passenger railway station, until the Canadian National railway tracks leading to Downtown Edmonton were removed in 1998. Since then, passenger trains serving Edmonton have stopped at the Edmonton railway station situated near the Edmonton City Centre Airport.
- "CN Tower — 1966". Capital Modern Edmonton. 2011. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Canadian inflation numbers based on Statistics Canada. "Consumer Price Index, historical summary". CANSIM, table (for fee) 326-0021 and Catalogue nos. 62-001-X, 62-010-X and 62-557-X. And Consumer Price Index, by province (monthly) (Canada) Last modified 2013-12-20. Retrieved January 8, 2014
- "CN vacates downtown Edmonton's landmark CN Tower". CAW National Council 4000. 2008-05-12. Retrieved 2010-10-22.
- Herzog, Lawrence (November 16, 2011). "The Lost Series: Edmonton's Lost Railways". Edmonton Heritage Council. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Carefoot, Stacey (April 1, 2008). "Canadian National Railway Office - Walker Office". Kaisan Architecture. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Drake, Laura; Kehler, Therese (July 19, 2009). "Violent storm damages Edmonton's CN Tower". Edmonton Journal. The Vancouver Sun. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
Hotel Macdonald Annex
|Tallest Building in Edmonton