|Chinese name||張逸帆 (traditional)|
|Chinese name||张逸帆 (simplified)|
|Pinyin||Zhāng Yìfán (Mandarin)|
August 31, 1981 |
|Other name(s)||Jerry Chang|
|Label(s)||HIM International Music (2006–present)|
JerryC (simplified Chinese: 张逸帆; traditional Chinese: 張逸帆; pinyin: Zhāng Yìfán; born August 31, 1981), also known by his English name Jerry Chang, is a Taiwanese guitarist and composer. He is best known for his song "Canon Rock", a rock arrangement of Johann Pachelbel's Canon in D. He began playing the guitar at the age of 17, and the piano before age 15. His style is influenced by classical music, neoclassical guitarists, as well as metal bands such as Helloween and Metallica and Japanese rock bands such as B'z and L'Arc-en-Ciel.
His most famous work, "Canon Rock", became an Internet sensation after South Korean guitarist Jeong-Hyun Lim performed a cover version in 2005. The song has garnered much media attention; both renditions have been featured on newspapers such as the New York Times, blogs, television shows and radios worldwide.
At the height of its popularity, "Canon Rock" was one of the top 10 downloaded guitar tabs on the Ultimate Guitar Archive, and was once one of the most viewed videos on YouTube. There are thousands of Canon Rock covers currently on YouTube.
Chang has signed a recording contract with Taiwanese label HIM International Music. Although no official announcement was made by HIM, the company began creating a website for Chang in 2007. In a letter to his listeners several months later, he publicly announced that he has indeed signed a contract and has been working with fellow musician Tank.
Canon Rock Single
The Canon Rock single includes Canon Rock, the Canon Rock Backing track, Dear Mozart, and the Dear Mozart backing track. The single is currently only available in Taiwan, since JerryC has yet to obtain a distribution contract.
- "Added a link to Taiwanese record label". JerryCFan.net. 2007-02-12. Retrieved 2007-06-03.
- JerryC (2006-04-06). "Questions to JerryC". Archived from the original on 2007-03-11. Retrieved 2007-06-03. "I started to play guitar at 17, but I've play piano over 10 years (not bad, but not expert also)."
- JerryC. "JerryC Profile".
- Heffernan, Virginia (2006-08-27). "Web Guitar Wizard Revealed at Last". New York Times. Retrieved 2007-06-03.
- "Fame 'embarrasses' YouTube guitar star". ABC News (Australia). 2006-09-11. Retrieved 2007-06-03.
- Jeong-Hyun Lim (performer), JerryC (composer) (October 23, 2005). Korean Student Rocks Pachelbel's Canon. ABC News. Retrieved 2007-06-03.
- "Guitar World Tab Index – J". Guitar World. Retrieved 2007-06-03. "Jerry C., Canon Rock, Guitar World, 0701"
- "Top 100 Songs By Hits @ Ultimate-Guitar.com". Ultimate Guitar Archive. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "YouTube :: Most Viewed Videos". YouTube. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- JerryC (2006-04-16). "Hi everybody". Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-06-03. "I was signed by HIM music company since half year ago, and I'm getting lots of training for everything about music, like producing, writing, of course performing."