|Town of Center, Colorado|
Center in winter.
Location in Saguache County and the state of Colorado
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|State||State of Colorado|
|Counties||Rio Grande County
|Incorporated||January 19, 1907|
|• Type||Statutory Town|
|• Total||0.8 sq mi (2.2 km2)|
|• Land||0.8 sq mi (2.2 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||7,644 ft (2,330 m)|
|• Density||2,800/sq mi (1,000/km2)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|INCITS place code||0812855|
|GNIS feature ID||0203419|
According to the United States Census Bureau, Center has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2012, there were 2,271 people, 768 households, and 603 families residing in the town. The population density was 2,854.3 people per square mile (1,099.5/km²). There were 848 housing units at an average density of 1,011.9 per square mile (389.8/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 10.3% White, 0.3% African American, 1% Native American, 0.09% from other races, and 0.09% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 87.4% of the population.
There were 768 households out of which 47.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.3% were married couples living together, 17.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.4% were non-families. 18.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.11 and the average family size was 3.56.
In the town the population was spread out with 35.2% under the age of 18, 11.1% from 18 to 24, 27.4% from 25 to 44, 17.0% from 45 to 64, and 9.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 28 years. For every 100 females there were 99.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $23,780, and the median income for a family was $26,143. Males had a median income of $20,844 versus $18,036 for females. The per capita income for the town was $9,289. About 27.1% of families and 27.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 31.6% of those under age 18 and 22.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Public high schools:
- Center High School - grades 9 - 12
- The Academic Recover Center of San Luis Valley - grades 9 - 12
- Public elementary/middle schools:
- Haskin Elementary School
- Skoglund Middle School - grades 6 - 8
- Private elementary/middle school in Center:
- High Valley Christian School
- Outline of Colorado
- State of Colorado
- San Luis Valley
- "2014 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Places". United States Census Bureau. July 1, 2014. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- "Active Colorado Municipalities". State of Colorado, Department of Local Affairs. Retrieved 2007-09-01.
- "Colorado Municipal Incorporations". State of Colorado, Department of Personnel & Administration, Colorado State Archives. 2004-12-01. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Google.com: Leach Airport Map and Data
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- City-Data.com Center, CO - Education
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Center, Colorado.|