||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2013)|
July 28, 1939 |
Niagara Falls, New York
Charles Cyphers (born July 28, 1939) is an American actor who has starred in many films and on television. He is known in the horror movie community for his work in the films of John Carpenter, especially his role as Sheriff Leigh Brackett in Carpenter's 1978 hit horror movie Halloween. He reprised this role in the 1981 sequel Halloween II. He is not related to actor Jon Cypher, alongside whom he played in Hill Street Blues.
Cyphers's first feature film was the 1974 movie Truck Turner, and he first worked with Carpenter in the 1976 action film Assault on Precinct 13, in which he played Starker, one of the ill-fated police officers gunned down by gang members.
After appearing in Halloween in 1978, Cyphers worked with Carpenter two years later, playing Dan O'Bannon in The Fog, a 1980 horror film which also starred Tom Atkins, Cyphers's fellow Halloween cast member Jamie Lee Curtis, his Assault on Precinct 13 co-star Darwin Joston, and Nancy Kyes, who worked with Cyphers in both Assault on Precinct 13 and Halloween. He then played the Secretary of State in Carpenter's popular 1981 film Escape from New York, in which he appeared with Atkins and Halloween actress Nancy Stephens.
In 2005, he appeared in the movie Dead Calling, and in 2007 he appeared as a Sheriff in Ethan Dettenmaier's forthcoming film, Sin-Jin Smyth, and in the film Methodic in a role which paid homage to his character in Halloween.
Cyphers has appeared in numerous television productions. During the 1970s, he had a recurring role, as Hugo Muncy, in The Betty White Show, and he guest-starred in an episode of Gibbsville in 1976. In addition, he had guest roles in popular television series such as Barnaby Jones and The Dukes of Hazzard, and he played Drake in the 1977 mini series Roots.
More recently, he has appeared in Sliders, ER, Seinfeld, JAG, and Any Day Now. From 1996 to 1998, Cyphers played Al Yaroker in the 1990s series Nick Freno: Licensed Teacher. He has also acted in various made-for-television movies.
Cyphers' roles on the stage, both on- and off-Broadway, include 12 Angry Men...in which he portrayed "Juror #3" to Julie Cobb's "#2" (her father portrayed "#3" in the 1957 movie). Cyphers appeared on the Dating Game in 1967 to compete for a date with Yvonne Craig (Batgirl from the 1960's Batman TV show).
- Truck Turner (1974) ....Drunk
- Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) ....Starker
- MacArthur (1977) ....Brig. Gen. Forest Harding
- Halloween (1978) ....Sheriff Leigh Brackett
- Elvis (1979)....Sam Phillips
- The Onion Field (1979) ....Chaplain
- Borderline (1980) ....Ski
- The Fog (1980)....Dan O'Bannon
- Escape from New York (1981) ....Secretary of State
- Halloween II (1981) ....Sheriff Leigh Brackett
- Death Wish II (1982) ....Ronald Kay
- Honkytonk Man (1982) ....Stubbs
- Big Bad Mama II (1987) ....Stark
- Gleaming the Cube (1989) ....Harvey McGill
- Major League (1989) ....Charlie Donovan
- Loaded Weapon 1 (1993) ....Interrogator
- Mach 2 (2001) ....Harry Olson
- Dead Calling (2006) ....Chuck Walker
- Sin-Jin Smyth (2006)
- Methodic (2007) ....Chief Sperranza
- Legend of the Mountain Witch (2009) ....Ben Maddock