Chow was born in London to restaurateur Michael Chow and his wife, the late model/designer Tina Chow; China Chow is the granddaughter of the Beijing Opera's Zhou Xinfang. Her parents left London for New York when she was 5 years old.
Before becoming an actress, Chow was the first college graduate in her family, majoring in psychology at Scripps College. She spent several years following in her mother's footsteps working as a model for Shiseido cosmetics, Tommy Hilfiger and Calvin Klein. Her modeling led to her being named one of Harper's Bazaar's "It Girls" in 1996 and an appearance in the December 1996 edition of Vogue magazine's "The Next Best-Dressed List".
Chow made her acting debut in 1998, starring opposite Mark Wahlberg in The Big Hit. In 2007, Chow appeared on USA Network's first season of Burn Notice. She is the host and a judge of Bravo's Work of Art: The Next Great Artist, which premiered on 9 June 2010.
- Kuczynski, Alex (19 April 1998). "SHOPPING WITH: CHINA CHOW; Mirror, Mirror, Who's the Best Dressed of All?". The New York Times. Retrieved 28 April 2010.
- Wloszczyna, Susan (23 April 1998). "China Chow a spicy 'Big Hit' in film debut". USA TODAY.
- Profile of China Chow, The New York Times (22 December 2011).
- China Chow, With a Look of Her Own Making; New York Times; 20 December 2011.
- Girls of Maxim — Hot 100 Women 2000, Maxim (1 May 2000).
- Girls of Maxim — Hot 100 Women 2001, Maxim (1 May 2001).
- "FreeJose.com". Maxim Magazine Hot 100 Women of 2001. Retrieved 19 February 2007.
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Tech Info; GameSpot; June 7, 2005
- Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas Manual; Rock Star Games; 2005