23 September 1975 |
Loppington, Shropshire, England
|Residence||Wilmslow, Cheshire |
|Education||University of Nottingham
|Occupation||radio presenter, TV personality|
|Spouse(s)||Clare Nasir (2005-present)|
Hawkins is the presenter of the BBC Radio 6 Music early breakfast radio show (also covering drive and afternoons), assuming additional duties on BBC Radio 2. He makes frequent TV appearances as a personality pundit and pop-culture expert.
Early life, education
Hawkins did his university studies at the University of Nottingham, where he obtained a degree in American Studies, and spent some time at Middlebury College in the United States as an exchange student. Also, as a school boy at the independent school Ellesmere College in Ellesmere, Shropshire, he spent some time at the Tabor Academy in the United States, on an English-Speaking Union scholarship.
He has worked for the BBC World Service doing the UK Album Chart Show and the UK Top 20, presented a daily show on GLR 94.9 (BBC London 94.9) for over two years, Talk Radio UK as a reporter and producer, BBC London Live, Real Radio, American College Radio, Jazz FM in London and Classic Gold.
He co-presented a radio talk show with psychic Becky Walsh on Friday nights on LBC 97.3 FM radio and had his own show on LBC 97.3 on Saturday afternoons.
As a music journalist, he writes a music column for London magazines, including the music review section of Angel magazine.
In November 2009, Chris and Clare had their first child, a baby girl, Sienna.
- "Profile: Chris Hawkins", Nikki Johnceline Publicity
- "Agency Biography/CV: Chris Hawkins", McLean-Williams Management, London.
- "Believe in Tomorrow: Prince's Trust Annual Review 2008-2010", Prince's Trust, March 2011. Cf. p.35
- "DJ’s dash to see birth of daughter", Shropshire Star, Saturday 14 November 2009
- Freaky Eaters - "Addicted to Junk Food" episode, Series 2, BBC programme website
- Slade, Jane, "Weather girl tunes in to better life in the north", Daily Express, Property, 29 February 2012
- BBC 6 Music Biography, 2002.
- Chris Hawkins at BBC 6 Music
- Chris Hawkins Official Home on the Web
- Chris Hawkins on Twitter
- Chris Hawkins Facebook Group
- Old Ellesmerian Club article on Chris Hawkins - June 2005, p.19