Clamp School Detectives
|Clamp School Detectives|
Cover of Clamp School Detectives volume 1 as published by Kadokawa Shoten
(Kuranpu Gakuen Tanteidan)
|Genre||Detective fiction, Comedy|
|Published by||Kadokawa Shoten|
|Original run||April 1992 – December 1993|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Osamu Nabeshima|
|Network||Animax, TV Tokyo|
|Original run||3 May 1997 – 25 October 1997|
Clamp School Detectives (Japanese: CLAMP学園探偵団 Hepburn: Kuranpu Gakuen Tanteidan?) aka CLAMP Campus Detectives is a manga series by Clamp, which was adapted into a 26-episode anime series, produced by Bandai Visual and Studio Pierrot. The manga series was serialized in Kadokawa Shoten's Monthly Asuka manga magazine between January 1992 and October 1993, spanning three tankōbon, while the anime premiered in Japan on TV Tokyo between May 3, 1997 and October 25, 1997.
An early work of the all-female manga artist group Clamp, the series outlines the adventures of the Elementary School Student Board in their attempt to better the lives of the female population of Clamp School.
Tokyopop have released the manga in English across North America in three volumes. The anime series has been translated and dubbed into English by the anime television network, Animax, who have broadcast the series across its respective English-language networks in Southeast Asia and South Asia. It is distributed in North America by Bandai Entertainment, which first released it in 1998 through now out-of-print subtitled VHS videotapes, and in 2008 re-released DVDs of the series with a new English dub by Coastal Studios.
The Clamp School Detectives is a series of episodic cases. Background is also given of Nokoru and Suoh's relationship, although this is not essential to the series.
- Nokoru Imonoyama (妹之山 残 Imonoyama Nokoru?)
- A 6th grade student and the Elementary School Board Chairman. The youngest son of the Imonoyama zaibatsu, the founders of Clamp School, he has inherited the family fondness of doing absurd things just for the sake of doing them. Nokoru has one of the top IQs in a school full of geniuses and NASA has been vying for the mind of the elementary schooler. He also has the unique ability to detect a lady in distress from two kilometers away. He is also infamous for being a flirt. For this reason, he established the Clamp School Detective Agency, although this was also an incentive to get out of his Chairman duties. He is also the only one out of the three young detectives that doesn't play a sport. Nokoru also appears in Clamp's Duklyon: Clamp School Defenders, Man of Many Faces, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle and X/1999. Nokoru Imonoyama is voiced by Akemi Okamura in Japanese and Juliet Cesario in English.
- Suoh Takamura (鷹村 蘇芳 Takamura Suō?)
- A 5th grader and the Elementary School Board Secretary. Suoh is a martial arts expert, with a 3rd dan blackbelt in Karate, Judo, Aikido, and Kendo (he would have gone higher, but he ran out of competition), he's also good in kyūdō. He is also the descendant of a Japanese ninja clan, and has sworn to protect Nokoru through anything. Suoh first met Nokoru three years prior (him being in 2nd grade) to the story but at first he was avoiding Imonoyama. Takamura is also responsible for making sure the chairman does all of his paperwork on time. Suoh also appears in Clamp School Paranormal Investigators, Man of Many Faces, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle and X/1999. Suoh Takamura is voiced by Shiho Niiyama in Japanese and Ashley Knight in English.
- Akira Ijyuin (伊集院 玲 Ijūin Akira?)
- A 4th grader and the Elementary School Board Treasurer. Akira is a first-class chef, a trait he inherited from his father. He lives with his two mothers and has also inherited his father's legacy as the notorious thief 20 Masks. Akira also appears in Clamp's Man of Many Faces, Duklyon: Clamp School Defenders, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle and X/1999. Akira Ijyuin is voiced by Omi Minami in Japanese and Shannon Hemeon in English.
- Nagisa Azuya (梓夜 凪砂 Azuya Nagisa?)
- A kindergarten student and friend of the President of the Kindergarten Student Division Council, she plays the flute very beautifully. At first, Suoh thought that she was a wisteria fairy and an illusion; after hearing Utako Ohkawa talk about her, however, he knew she was real. Her mother is a famous traditional Japanese dancer and her father is well known for playing for royalty. She has enough talent to surpass her parents. Suoh has a crush on her and vice versa. Nagisa Azuya is voiced by Haruna Ikezawa in Japanese and Pamela Weidner-Houle in English.
- Utako Ohkawa (大川 詠心 Ōkawa Utako?)
- A kindergarten student and president of the Kindergarten Student Division Council. At first, she thought that her friend, Nagisa, was being attacked by people who are jealous of her. Akira has a crush on her and vice versa. She believes they will get married someday. She has an older sister named Mako. She also appears in Clamp's Man of Many Faces and makes a cameo appearance in Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle. Utako Ohkawa is voiced by Yuko Miyamura in Japanese and Rachael Moser in English.
|This section requires expansion. (June 2011)|
|No.||Japanese release date||Japanese ISBN||North American release date||North American ISBN|
|01||April 30, 1992||ISBN 978-4049246643||April 15, 2003||ISBN 978-1-59182-294-3|
|02||April 1, 1993||ISBN 978-4049246650||June 17, 2003||ISBN 978-1-59182-295-0|
|03||December 1, 1993||ISBN 978-4049246667||August 12, 2003||ISBN 978-1-59182-296-7|
|This section requires expansion. (June 2011)|
- Opening Theme
- "Peony Pink" by Ali Project
- Ending Theme
- "Welcome to Metallic Party" by Marble Berry
- Ending Theme
- "Gift" by Maaya Sakamoto
- (Japanese) "CLAMP-NET.COM". Archived from the original on 2007-03-28. Retrieved 2007-05-27.
- "Bandai Entertainment to Sell Clamp School Detectives DVDs". Anime News Network. 2007-05-27. Retrieved 2007-05-27.
- Coastal Studios, Inc
- "CLAMP公式ウェブサイト" (in Japanese). Clamp. Retrieved 31 August 2009.
- "Manga+Comics: Book Catalog". Tokyopop. Retrieved 31 August 2009.
- Clamp School Detectives at the Internet Movie Database
- Pierrot's official Clamp School website
- Clamp School Detectives (manga) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia