In 2009 Gilbert became the CEO of the newly formed Deseret Digital Media, a subsidiary corporation of Deseret Management Corporation that runs the websites of the Deseret News, Church News, Mormon Times, KSL radio and Deseret Book.
In August 2010, with Gilbert at the helm, the Deseret News laid off 43 percent of its workforce.
Gilbert unveiled a set of six themes that would guide the paper's coverage—previously distinguished by its lack of oversight from the LDS Church and a strict devotion to impartiality—from that time forward: 1. The Family, 2. Financial Responsibility, 3. Excellence in Education, 4. Care for the Needy, 5. Values in Media, and 6. Faith in the Community.
Using his theory of "disruption" economics, Gilbert has tried to pinpoint the cost of each story and achieve a more cost-effective story output. In February 2011, Gilbert was the keynote speaker at a conference in St. Petersburg, Fla., where Borrell Associates CEO Gordon Borrell named him the "Innovator of the Year." Gilbert has also spoken to regional newspapers and editors about ways to better monetize journalism.
As part of Gilbert's plan to "lead and innovate," the Deseret News and KSL created Deseret Connect, a network of freelance contributors under the direction of Matt Sanders. Much of Deseret Connect's content has been featured prominently on the Deseret News homepage, though the print paper has largely remained the work of full- and part-time staff.
In November 2011, it was revealed that the mayor of Utah's West Valley City, Michael K. Winder, wrote under a pen name as a Deseret Connect contributor about city hall events, and that his stories were featured in the Deseret News. Gilbert said he was "concerned" that somebody would misrepresent himself in such a way.
Gilbert and his wife Christine are the parents of seven children.
- "Meet the DDM Team: Clark Gilbert". Deseret Digital Media. Archived from the original on 2013-01-21.
- "Clark Gilbert". Bonneville International.
- "Deseret Digital Media CEO Clark Gilbert Named to Expanded Role as President and CEO of the Deseret News". Desert Media Companies. Archived from the original on 2012-04-12.
- McCord, Keith (August 31, 2010). "Layoffs, new operating model at Deseret News".
- Doctor, Ken (April 28, 2011). "The newsonomics of story cost accounting". Nieman Journalism Lab.
- "Clark Gilbert Named Innovator Of The Year For Local Online Media" (Press release). Borrell Associates. February 23, 2011.
- Cortez, Marjorie (May 4, 2011). "Deseret News posts circulation gains, bucking national trend of declining print circulation". Deseret News.
- Piper, Rachel (May 13, 2011). "Fine Print: The Deseret News Spins Its Circulation Numbers". News Blog (Salt Lake City Weekly).
- "The Deseret News Unveils Bold New Direction for Newspaper" (Press release). Deseret News.
- Page, Jared (November 10, 2011). "West Valley City mayor admits using false identity to write news stories". Deseret News.