The Cleary University Crest
|President||Thomas Patrick Sullivan|
|Students||852 (Spring 2009)|
|Location||Genoa Twp, MI, U.S.A.|
|Former names||Cleary Business College (1891)
The Cleary School of Penmanship (1883)
|Alt. Campus||Ann Arbor, MI, U.S.A.|
|Colors||Red & Blue:|
|Mascot||Clancy The Cougar|
|Affiliations||Higher Learning Commission, NCA|
Cleary University is a Michigan based business university with two campuses; the Washtenaw Campus is located in Ann Arbor and the Livingston Campus is located in Genoa Charter Township, near Howell. Both campus offer certificate, BBA, and MBA programs.
Founded in 1883, by Patrick Roger Cleary as the "Cleary School of Penmanship", it was incorporated in 1891 as "Cleary Business College". In 1933, the Cleary family turned the physical assets of the college over to a Board of Trustees, establishing Cleary College as an independent non-profit institution. In 1938 Patrick Roger Cleary retired and his son, Owen Cleary, became president. The college moved to the 2170 Washtenaw Avenue site in 1960. A branch college was opened in Livingston County in 1979. By 1982, the combined campuses served over one thousand students. " In 2002, Cleary introduced a graduate program and changed its name to Cleary University.
On March 8, 2010, Cleary held a ribbon cutting ceremony to celebrate the official opening of its newest addition to the Livingston campus. Renovated in early 2010 the Cleary Welcome Center is home of the university’s admissions department, as well a few other administration offices; the focus of the new facility is the Cleary University Micro-Business Incubator (CMBI). The CMBI provides guidance and low-cost assistance to the small and start-up enterprise to foster entrepreneurship.
The LLoyd & Mabel Johnson Center for Business & Community Excellence is the focus of the Livingston Campus. The Johnson Center is home to a majority of classes on the Livingston campus. The Johnson Center is equipped to serve as the University's conference center. It is divided into 8 classrooms, an internet café, commercial kitchen, and a few offices.
The Chrysler Building was Cleary's first building on the Livingston Campus.
The current administration building is the future site of Cleary's fitness center. On campus, most everyone refers to the building as the fitness center to generate interest and excitement to promote the fundraiser efforts.
The Washtenaw Campus is home to Cleary's only current building in Ann Arbor, the Lyons' building. In late 2013, Cleary was reported to be considering a sale of the Washtenaw Campus because of low usage.
Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in the following degrees:
- Financial Planning, M.B.A.
- Health Care Leadership, M.B.A.
- Management, M.B.A.
- Organizational Leadership, M.B.A.
Cleary also offers a graduate certificate in Financial Planning.
- Business Management, B.B.A.
- Entrepreneurship, B.B.A.
- Corporate Communications and Public Relations, B.B.A.
- Health Care Management, B.B.A.
- Human Resource Management, B.B.A.
- Management of Information Technology, B.B.A.
- Marketing and New Media, B.B.A.
- Management of Information Systems, B.B.A.
- Executive, B.B.A
- Corporate Finance, B.S.
- Financial Planning, B.S.
- Public Accounting, B.S.
Cleary University has a growing athletics program. They have men's and women's cross country, soccer and golf and in 2014 will be adding women's softball, men's baseball, and men's lacrosse as well. The teams currently compete in the USCAA. The men's and women's soccer teams had their debut seasons in 2013 and played both teams from the USCAA as well as various opponents from the NAIA's Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference.
- Vern Buchanan, U.S. Congressman
- Winsor McCay, cartoonist
- Charles T. Knabusch, Chairman of the Board and President La-Z-Boy Inc.
- Daniel Milstein
- "US News and World Report - Best Colleges 2010". Retrieved March 20, 2010.
- "Affiliated institutions". Higher Learning Commission. Retrieved 15 March 2010.
- "Cleary History". Cleary University web site. Cleary University. Archived from the original on 2007-07-09. Retrieved 2007-12-09.
- "S0553". Michigan Markers web site. Retrieved 2008-01-16.
- "Official Zoning Map of Genoa Charter Township." (Archive) Genoa Charter Township, Michigan. As of September 2008. Retrieved on November 8, 2013.
- "Contact Us." Cleary University. Retrieved on November 8, 2013. "Livingston Campus 3750 Cleary Drive Howell, MI 48843"
- "Cleary University opens micro business incubator". Howell, MI: WHMI. 8 March 2010. Retrieved 10 March 2010.[dead link]
- Cleary may sell Ann Arbor site, Livingston Daily, December 21, 2013
- "BUCHANAN, Vernon G. - Biographical Information". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Retrieved 2007-12-09.
- "Northwood University". Retrieved 2008-09-03.
- Official site
- Marketing site
- Livingston Economic Club
- Leadership Livingston
- Michigan Quality Council