Delta College (Michigan)
|Location||University Center, Michigan
Postal designation for an unincorporated area which includes parts of Bay County, Michigan and Saginaw County, Michigan, USA
Evergreen and white
Delta College is a two-year community college located southwest of Bay City, Michigan, United States. Delta College's district had its beginning in 1955 with Saginaw, Midland, and Bay counties making up the district. In 1957, the voters of the tri-counties approved the construction of the college, and it opened for classes in 1961. Delta College replaced Bay City Junior College, established in 1922, because the junior college could no longer support the growing enrollment. With Saginaw Valley College established in 1964, later renamed Saginaw Valley State College in 1975, and finally named Saginaw Valley State University in 1987, both Delta College and Saginaw Valley State University form University Center, Michigan.
Delta College has off-campus centers in each of its three neighboring counties: Delta College Planetarium and Learning Center in Bay City; Delta College Midland Center in Midland; and the Ricker Center in Saginaw.
Degree and certificate programs offered by Delta College include:
- Academic Career Experience
- Alternative Energy - Wind Turbine Technology
- Architectural Technology
- Art and Design
- Automotive Service Educational Program
- Automotive Service Technology
- Aviation Flight Technology
- Chemical Process Technology
- Chemical Technology
- Child Development
- Computer Aided Drafting
- Computer Numerical Control
- Computer Science And Information Technology
- Construction Management
- Criminal Justice
- Customer Energy Specialist
- Dental Assisting
- Dental Hygiene
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Digital Film Production
- Electrical Utility Worker
- Electronic Media Broadcasting
- Environmental Technology
- Fire Science Technology
- Global Peace Studies
- Group Fitness Instructor
- Health Fitness Specialist
- Industrial Technology Education
- International Studies
- Journalism And Emerging Media
- Lean Resource Management
- Legal Support Professional
- Liberal Arts
- Manufacturing And Industrial Technology
- Massage Therapy
- Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Medical Office Professions
- Nursing Rn Transition Track
- Office Professions
- Personal Trainer
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Practical Nurse
- Pre-apprentice Skilled Trades
- Professional Studies In Office Administration
- Quality Assurance
- Quality Management
- Refrigeration, Heating, Air Conditioning Service Technology
- Residential Construction
- Respiratory Care
- Skilled Trades (apprenticeship)
- Surgical Technology
- Water Environment Technology
- Welding Engineering Technology
- Writing - General Writing
- Writing - Technical Writing
- Youth Services Certificate
Delta College offers six varsity sports competing in the NJCAA, and is in the MCCAA's conference. The Pioneers compete in men's basketball and women's basketball, baseball, softball, women's soccer and men's golf. Delta has won two national championships, in men's basketball in 1989 and softball in 1999. The women's soccer team and baseball teams were added as varsity sports during the 2011-2012 academic year. www.deltapioneers.com
The college owns and operates WDCQ-TV (Q-TV), the region's PBS station; and WUCX-FM (Q-90.1), the NPR affiliate, owned by Central Michigan University (CMU) and co-operated by Delta College and CMU. Collectively, these stations are known as Delta College Quality Public Broadcasting and they serve an audience of 1.2 million people in mid-Michigan.
The college's student-run newspaper is the Delta Collegiate and has been published since the college opened in 1961. The newspaper prints a new issue every two weeks during the fall and winter semester. The Library Learning Information Center (LLLC) now has an online archive of the first 50 years of the Delta Collegiate. www.deltacollegiate.com
'2014 - A $4-million grant from the Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow Foundation allows Delta to move forward with plans to build a STEM Explorer—a 38-foot vehicle set to travel the Great Lakes Bay Region offering enhanced science, technology, engineering and mathematics education to middle- and high-school students.
2013 - Health Professions Building undergoes $20-million makeover. The building represents about 10 percent of Delta's campus. However, nearly 50 percent of students take classes there.
2011 - Delta College celebrated its 50th year as a community college; its 50,000th student graduated.
2010 - An $800,000 federal grant will allow Delta to train students and healthcare professionals in the newly emerging field of electronic medical records systems, allowing them to receive a Health Information Technology certificate/degree.
2010 - Vice President Joe Biden came to campus to highlight the success of the Chemical Process Technology Program and its partnerships to get displaced workers retrained and back into the workforce.
2010 - Sets enrollment record with 11,787 students in Winter 2010.
2009 - Named “Great College to Work For” in a survey done for The Chronicle of Higher Education.
2008 - Students contributed 95,525 service hours to the Great Lakes Bay Region and beyond. The value of this volunteer time is estimated at just under $2 million.
2008 - A 16-week training program called Fast-start was created in response to alternative energy growth and partnerships with regional chemical, solar and industrial companies
- As of June 30, 2014. "U.S. and Canadian Institutions Listed by Fiscal Year 2011 Endowment Market Value and Percentage Change in Endowment Market Value from FY 2010 to FY 2011" (PDF). National Association of College and University Business Officers. January 17, 2012. p. 21. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- DeltaBroadcasting - About Us
- Delta Collegiate
- Delta Collegiate Archive
- Delta College
- Vice President Joe Biden praises stimulus, points to Delta College as job training hub | MLive.com
- Delta College
- Great Colleges to Work For, 2009 - The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Delta College
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Delta College (Michigan).|
- Delta College's Website
- Delta College Planetarium & Learning Center Located in Bay City, Michigan.
- Delta College Athletics
- Delta Collegiate Newspaper
- Delta Collegiate Archive