Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage
Shikisai o Motanai Tazaki Tsukuru to, Kare no Junrei no Toshi
|April 12, 2013|
|Media type||Print (hardcover)|
Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage (色彩を持たない多崎つくると、彼の巡礼の年 Shikisai o Motanai Tazaki Tsukuru to, Kare no Junrei no Toshi?) is a novel by Haruki Murakami published in 2013. It was the first he wrote since publishing book three of 1Q84 three years earlier.
On February 16, 2013, Bungeishunjū announced that Haruki Murakami’s new novel was to be published in April. On March 15, the title “Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage” and the release date of April 12 were disclosed. Preorders were placed starting that day, and the sales reached 10 thousand copies on amazon.co.jp within 11 days. It took one day fewer than its predecessor, 1Q84, to become the fastest selling book on amazon.co.jp. The publishing company Bungeishunju prepared 300,000 copies, the largest number of first edition copies of a hardcover book in the company’s history. Furthermore, the number of copies to be printed over the course of three more print runs before the release date was expected to reach 450,000 copies. Prior to the book’s release, statements such as Haruki Murakami’s messages on February 28 and March 15th, were issued to convey fragments of information over the course of seven statements. However, details of the novel were not disclosed. Furthermore, galleys, usually given to other reviewers, newspapers, and bookstores before the publication, were not created. The knowledge of the content of the book was limited to a small number of people.
With the book’s release date announced to be at midnight on April 12, 2013, late-night bookstores in metropolitan Tokyo which were to start selling the book at 00:00 AM witnessed long lines of more than 150 people. Seven days after the release, the book had been printed 8 times for a total of over 1,000,000 copies.
Tsukuru Tazaki's life was irreparably changed when his relationships with his high school best friends became severed during Tsukuru's college days. Now at 35, Tsukuru's girlfriend Sara suggested to Tsukuru to go and talk to these high school friends in person to mend the relationships, and to discover the real reason behind the friends' decision to reject Tsukuru. Tsukuru visited his friends in Nagoya and Finland one by one, and uncovers the real reason as to why their relations were broken off.
Tsukuru Tazaki (多崎 つくる (written 多崎 作 in the family register) Tazaki Tsukuru?) The protagonist. The character’s current age is 36. Single. Liked train stations since childhood, and now makes a living designing train stations at a railway company in Tokyo.
Kei Akamatsu (赤松 慶 Akamatsu Kei?) A high school friend of the protagonist. A Nagoya resident. Has a successful business that offers employee training to big companies in the Nagoya area.
Yoshio Oumi (青海 悦夫 Oumi Yoshio?) A high school friend of the protagonist. A Nagoya resident. A car dealer that sells Toyota’s luxury car Lexus.
Yuzuki Shirane (白根 柚木 Shirane Yuzuki?) A high school friend of the protagonist. A piano teacher. She lived in Hamamatsu before she passed away.
Eri Kurono Haatainen
Eri Kurono (黒埜 恵里 Kurono Eri?) A pottery artist and a high school friend of the protagonist. Married a man surnamed Haatainen who came to Japan from Finland to learn pottery. Now lives in Finland as Eri Kurono Haatainen (エリ・クロノ・ハアタイネン?).
Sara Kimoto (木元 沙羅 Kimoto Sara?) Tsukuru’s current love interest. Two years Tsukuru’s senior. Works for a travel agency. Lives in Tokyo.
Haida (灰田?) One of Tsukuru’s few friends from college. Two academic years Tsukuru’s junior. Disappeared from the university before the beginning of the new semester.
- Piano music of Franz Liszt – Années de pèlerinage (Years of Pilgrimage). Among the collection of music "Première année: Suisse" (First year: Switzerland) Chapter 8, the piece “Le Mal du Pays” (Homesickness) appears to be an important motif.
- Morris Louis – paintings of “Pillar of Fire” is used on the cover.
- Haruki Murakami’s Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage | temporary page on HonNoHanashi WEB
- "Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami cover art and synopsis". Upcoming4.me. Retrieved 2014-02-25.
- Haruki Murakami’s new work to be published in April: News: the Yomiuri homepage YOMIURI ONLINE (Yumiuri newspaper). February 18, 2013.
- Haruki Murakami’s new novel, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage ¬to be released April, 12. MSN Sankei news, March 15, 2013.
- Murakami’s new novel will be released April 12th! The mystery of “Colorless” “Tsukuru Tazaki” “Pilgrimage” Special Feature | on the weekly Bunshun website, April 11, 2013.
- Frenzy over Haruki Murakami’s new novel Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage. MSN Sankei news, April 10, 2013.
- Haruki Murakami’s first new novel in three years, 500,000 copies already sold. MSN Sankei news, April 12, 2013.
- Haruki Murakami: “While I was writing it became a novel.” A message about his new work. MSN Sankei News, February 28, 2013.
- Top secret mysterious contents of Haruki’s new work, 500,000 copies sold before the release: News: The Yomiuri homepage YOMIURI ONLINE (Yumiuri newspaper). April 9, 2013.
- Bookstores bustling with copies of Haruki Murakami’s mysterious new work. Women’s SEVEN, retrieved April 25, 2013 Issue (Post Seven NEWS) April 11, 2013.
- “Haruki Murakami’s new work goes on sale at midnight, fans excited” Asahi newspaper.(April 12, 2013) retrieved April 28, 2013.
- “The Haruki effect, a classic piece appeared in the novel, sold out.” Asahi newspaper (April 20, 2013) retrieved April 28, 2013.
- “How do booksellers sell Haruki Murakami? Enjoy Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage more.” Nikkei Business (April 26, 2013), retrieved April 28, 2013.
- “The Haruki effect, a classic piece appeaed in the novel, sold out.” Asahi newspaper (April 20, 2013) retrieved April 28, 2013.
- Haruki Murakami’s Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage | temporary page on HonNoHanashi WEB.