Conrad Wolfram in transmediale 10 talking about Wolfram Alpha.
|Born||June 10, 1970|
|Alma mater||Cambridge University|
|Occupation||Strategic and International Director, Wolfram Research|
Wolfram's father Hugo was a textile manufacturer and novelist (Into a Neutral Country) and his mother Sybil was a professor of philosophy at the University of Oxford. He has an older brother, Stephen.
Born in Oxford, England, in 1970, Wolfram was educated at Dragon School, Eton College, Pembroke College, Cambridge University, UK from which he holds an MA degree in Natural Sciences and Mathematics. He learned to program on a BBC Micro.
Mathematics education reform 
Wolfram has been a prominent proponent of 'Computer-Based Math'- a reform of mathematics education to make greater use of information technology.  and is the founder of computerbasedmath.org.
The UK's Channel 4 News quotes him saying "There are a few cases where it is important to do calculations by hand, but these are small fractions of cases. The rest of the time you should assume that students should use a computer just like everyone does in the real world.". In an interview with the Guardian he described the replacement of hand calculation by computer use as "democratising expertise".
In 2009, he spoke about education reform at the TEDx Conference at the EU Parliament. and again at TED Global 2010 where he argued that "Maths should be more practical and more conceptual, but less mechanical," and that "Calculating is the machinery of math - a means to an end."
In August 2012, he was a member of the judging panel at the Festival of Code, the culmination of Young Rewired State 2012.
Conrad Wolfram founded Wolfram Research Europe Ltd. in 1991 and remains its managing director. In 1996, he additionally became Strategic and International Director of Wolfram Research, Inc., making him also responsible for Wolfram Research Asia Ltd, and communications such as the wolfram.com website.
Conrad Wolfram has led the effort to move the use of Mathematica from pure computation system to development and deployment engine, instigating technology such as the Mathematica Player family and web Mathematica and by pushing greater automation within the system.
He has also lead the focus on interactive publishing technology with the stated aim of "making new applications as everyday as new documents" claiming that "If a picture is worth a thousand words, an interactive document is worth a thousand pictures." These technologies converged to form the Computable Document Format which Wolfram says can "transfer knowledge in a much higher-bandwidth way"
- "Stephen Wolfram". nndb.com. Retrieved 2009-05-11.
- giving away software in push into China, The News Gazette, 9 March 2008.
- The BBC Microcomputer and me, 30 years down the line BBC News, 1 Dec 2011
- Conrad Wolfram at Learning Without Frontiers Wired 26 Jan 2012
- Making Maths Beautiful Learning Without Frontiers
- Conrad Wolfram on the Computational Knowledge Economy HPC Wire, 12 Jan 2012
- We need to base maths lessons on computers, The Daily Telegraph, December 3, 2009.
- Changing the world with technical computing, Scientific Computing World, August 2004.
- Report of the invitation MEI seminars, MEI, UK
- Estonian Schools to Teach Computer-Based Math Wall Street Journal, 11 Feb 2013
- Computers do it better, Times Higher Education Supplement, 30 March 2012
- Closing the gap between modern life and the math curriculum New York Times, 10 Feb 2013
- The despair of the dissenting government expert The New Statesman
- Introducing the 'sat-nav' maths exam, Channel 4 News, Channel 4, UK
- WolframAlpha Online Search Engine Calculations, The Guardian, 2 September 2009.
- I calculate therefore I am, Conrad Wolfram, TedX Brussels, YouTube, 2009.
- "Speakers at TEDxBurssels 2009". Tedxbrussels.eu. Retrieved 2010-11-16.
- Conrad Wolfram wants to reboot the maths curriculum, Wired Magazine, 19 July 2010.
- Advisory board,[dead link] King's College London, UK.
- Britains 40 New Radicals The Observer
- Britains 50 New Radicals Nesta
- Wolfram Alpha goes live, Channel 4 News, Channel 4, UK.
- Knowles, Jamillah (2009-09-15). "Guatemala, Wolfram Alpha, Acquine and news". Radio 5, BBC, UK. Retrieved 2010-11-16.
- A computational knowledge engine for factual queries, The Hindu, India, 25 May 2009.
- Can Wolfram Take on Google?, The Daily Telegraph, UK.
- Wolfram promises new way to probe the web, The Independent, UK.
- Wolfram Releases Mathematica Player 7, Inside HPC, 10 December 2008.
- Wolfram Releases Mathematic Player Pro 7, Dr Dobbs Journal.
- webMathematica Japanese Edition: Unique Product Brings Computation to the Web, Mathematica Journal, volume 8, issue 4.
- Making Science Leap From the Page The New York Times, 17 Dec 2011
- The day that documentes and applications merged, Wolfram Research.
- Interactive deployment, Wolfram Research.
- Wolfram Alpha Creator plans to delete the PDF The Telegraph (UK)
- Conrad Wolfram: computation will release data overload Wired 28 June 2012