|Birth name||Lazaro Mendez|
|Also known as||The Pimp with the Limp|
|Origin||Miami, Florida, United States|
|Genres||Reggaeton, Miami Bass|
|Labels||TVT Records, Collipark Music, Pandisc Music Corp.|
|Associated acts||Flo Rida, Casely, Pitbull, Ying Yang Twins, 2 Live Crew, Luther Campbell, Fresh Kid Ice, Mami El Negro|
Lazaro Mendez, better known by his stage name DJ Laz (born in December 2, 1971, in Hollywood, Florida, USA) is a Cuban-American rapper and DJ from Miami, Florida. He hosted the weekday morning "DJ Laz Morning Show" in Miami on WPOW 96.5 FM, branded "Power 96," for 22 years until he left the company in April 2012. Beginning July 4, 2012, the new DJ Laz Morning Show began after arbitration on the newly reformatted WRMA DJ106.7 a Bilingual Dance/Rhythmic formatted station.
He is best known for his albums DJ Laz and Category 6, which charted on U.S. Billboard album charts. He is also notable for the singles "Journey Into Bass" (1994) and "Move Shake Drop" (2008), which peaked at #56 on the Billboard Hot 100.
The DJ Laz Morning Show on LA 96.3 of Los Angeles and DJ 106.7 of Miami is known for mysteriously getting their hands on exclusive content. DJ Laz is also known for his show's prominent appearance on Fox's television show, Dish Nation.
In July 2012, when Justin Bieber made a 911 call to authorities to report paparazzi that were following him, the DJ Laz Morning Show was the first to obtain Bieber's 911 call, airing it on Los Angeles' LA 96.3.
On Tuesday, September 11, 2012, the DJ Laz Morning Show aired a pre-recorded interview with President Barack Obama. Many Obama critics quickly bashed Obama for making no mention to the September 11 attacks in 2001, despite the fact that the interview was pre-recorded. The White House later made it clear that the call was indeed pre-recorded and was supposed to have been played on Monday, September 10.
On May 5 2014, DJ Laz was in command of a boat that was stuck on a sand bar in Biscayne Bay. When bystanders got out to push the boat, DJ Laz increased power to the engine, and a 23 year old man who had been trying to help was killed by the boat prop.
- 1991: DJ Laz
- 1994: Journey into Bass
- 1996: King of Bass
- 1998: Cruzin'
- 2000: Pimpin'
- 2001: XXX Breaks
- 2004: The Latin Album
- 2008: Category 6
- 2001: Greatest Hits
- 1991: "Mami El Negro"
- 1992: "Moments in Bass"
- 1992: "Latin Rhythm"
- 1992: "Hump All Night"
- 1993: "Journey into Bass" #44 US Rap
- 1995: "Shake It Up"
- 1996: "Esa Morena"
- 1998: "Sabrosura"
- 1998: "Negra Chula"
- 1999: "Get Your Ass Off Stage"
- 2000: "The Red Alert Project"
- 2000: "Ki Ki Ri Bu"
- 2000: "Facina"
- 2008: "Move Shake Drop" (featuring Flo Rida, Casely and Pitbull) #56 US Hot 100, #42 US Pop 100
- 2008: "She Can Get It"
- 2009: "I Made It to the U.S.A."
- 2010: "Alcoholic" (featuring Pitbull)
- 2011: "You Got Me Going" (featuring Vein)
- Johnson, Luke (September 11, 2012). "Obama-DJ Laz Interview: President Talks Flo Rida, Pitbull, Immigration To Miami Station". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 12 September 2012.
- Music News, Reviews, Articles, Information, News Online
- , la963fm.com
- ,"DJ Laz Driving Boat That Killed Man Who Got Caught in Propeller" in http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com
- DJ Laz at MySpace
- DJ Laz on Twitter
- Detailed discography of DJ Laz at Discogs
- Profile and discography of DJ Laz at Allmusic