Dash at the Tribeca Film Festival, 2007.
May 3, 1971 |
New York City, New York
|Occupation||Actor, Entrepreneur, Executive Producer|
|Known for||Roc-A-Fella Records
|Spouse(s)||Aaliyah (2000–01; engaged)
Rachel Roy (m. 2005–09)
Damon Dash (born May 3, 1971) also known by Dame Dash is an American entrepreneur. Dash was formerly Jay-Z's manager and business partner at Roc-a-Fella Records, and in 1999, he organized a tour for Jay-Z which made $19 million. However, their relationship soured as a result of two subsequent events. The first was when Roc-A-Fella Records was purchased by Def Jam Recordings (which had previously only owned half of the company) in 2004, after which Jay-Z agreed to take a job as Def Jam's president. Then, in the fall of 2005, Jay-Z bought Dash out of his stake in Rocawear.
As a teenager he swept the floors of a local barbershop and sold newspapers in order to buy sneakers and shirts. He developed his work ethic from the example of his mother, who died of an asthma attack when Dash was 15. Dash was sent to a private school in order to receive a better education. His success helped him discover the different fields he wanted to branch out into.
Dash met R&B singer Aaliyah in Summer 2000 in New York and dated her until her death on August 25, 2001 from a plane crash in The Bahamas.  Though they were not formally engaged, in interviews given after Aaliyah's death, Dash claimed the couple had planned to marry.
- Baron, Zach (January 13, 2010). "Welcome to Damon Dash's DD172, New York's Last Line of Defense Against "Wack World"". The Village Voice (Village Voice, LLC). Retrieved November 15, 2011.
- Konigsberg, Eric (19 June 2006). "Why Damon Dash Hates Mondays". New York Magazine. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- "Dash to Solo Success for Hip Hop Mogul". CNN. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- "Damon Dash Net Worth". Celebrity Net Worth. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- http://hellobeautiful.com/2012/08/25/aaliyah-damon-dash-relationship-pictures-rememberance/ .Retrieved August 25, 2012
- Calloway, Sway; Hiatt, Brian; Kroft, Ryan (August 28, 2001). "Damon Dash Says Every Day with Aaliyah Was Special". MTV News. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Damon Dash.|
|This article about an American businessperson born in the 1970s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|