|Institutions||The Wisconsin Medical Society|
|Alma mater||University of Wisconsin Medical School (MD, 1958)|
Darold A. Treffert (born 1932) is a psychiatrist who specializes in the epidemiology of autism spectrum disorders and savant syndrome. He lives in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. He is on the staff at St. Agnes Hospital and serves on the Board of Trustees of Marian University. Treffert was a clinical professor at the University of Wisconsin Medical School. He is also a clinical professor at University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee.
Treffert graduated from the University of Wisconsin Medical School in 1958. He interned in Eugene, Oregon. He completed a residency in psychiatry at University Hospitals (now University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics) in Madison, Wisconsin. He holds a position at St. Agnes Hospital in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.[dead link]
In 1976, he held positions in the private practice of psychiatry, was Executive Director of the Fond du Lac County Health Care Center, and the Medical Director of the Alcoholism Rehabilitation Unit of St. Agnes Hospital in Fond du Lac. From 1979 to 1980, Treffert was president of the State Medical Society of Wisconsin and from 1981 to 1987 was chair of its Board of Directors. He has also been the president of the Wisconsin Psychiatric Association and the American Association of Psychiatric Administrators. In 1995 he was appointed to the Wisconsin Medical Examining Board, and in January 2002 was elected its chair.
He received awards from the Wisconsin Mental Health Association, the Office of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse of Wisconsin, and the Wisconsin Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
- Extraordinary People: Understanding Savant Syndrome, iUniverse.com, 2000. ISBN 0-595-09239-X
- Islands of Genius: The Bountiful Mind of the Autistic, Acquired, and Sudden Savant. Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2010. ISBN 1-84905-810-X
- About Darold Treffert.com, Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Dr. Darold Treffert Savant Syndrome Expert – Psychiatrist". Retrieved 2009-12-22.
- Oops! When “Autism” Isn’t Autistic Disorder: Hyperlexia and Einstein Syndrome | MIND Guest Blog, Scientific American Blog Network
- Darold Treffert at www.daroldtreffert.com
- Savant Syndrome at Wisconsin Medical Society
- Darold Treffert at the Internet Movie Database