No. 58 Arizona Cardinals
|Date of birth:October 9, 1986|
|Place of birth: Dallas, Texas|
|High school: Irving (TX)|
|College: Texas Christian|
|NFL Draft: 2010 / Round: 2 / Pick: 47|
|Debuted in 2010 for the Arizona Cardinals|
|Roster status: Active|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of 2012
Daryl Lewis Washington (born October 9, 1986) is an American football linebacker for the Arizona Cardinals of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for Texas Christian University (TCU). Washington was chosen by the Arizona Cardinals in the second round of the 2010 NFL Draft.
High school career
Washington attended Irving High School in Texas, where he was named All-District defensive player of the year after he totaled 168 tackles with four sacks as a senior. He was selected to play in the Texas-Oklahoma Oil Bowl All-Star Game.
As a true freshman at TCU in 2006, Washington contributed at linebacker and on special teams. He recorded 16 tackles for the season (14 solo). In his sophomore year, he blocked a nation-best three punts, while also registering 32 tackles for the season (25 solo).
Although still primarily a back-up and special teams player, Washington was TCU's fourth-leading tackler with 63 stops in 2008. He started the 2008 Poinsettia Bowl and posted six tackles and three pass breakups in TCU's victory over Boise State. He started at middle linebacker in 2009 and established himself as one of the leaders TCU's defense, which is one of the best in the nation. He was named one of 12 semifinalists for the 2009 Butkus Award. He earned first-team All-MWC and All-American selections.
2010 NFL Draft
Projected a second-round selection by Sports Illustrated, Washington was ranked as the No. 4 outside linebacker available in the 2010 NFL Draft. He was selected 47th overall by the Arizona Cardinals.
In 2010 Washington had 78 tackles, one sack, one forced fumble, and one interception that he fumbled.
Having started at inside linebacker since his rookie-season in 2010, Washington has emerged to become among the best linebackers in NFL, being named to the 2012 All-Pro Team as well as being selected to participate in the 2013 Pro Bowl as an alternate for the NFC roster.
Washington has two children.
Banned substance abuse
On May 3, 2013, Washington was arrested in Phoenix, Arizona on two counts of aggravated assault (and one count of criminal trespass in the first-degree) from an incident on May 1, 2013 involving his 27-year-old ex-girlfriend whom he shares a daughter with. The altercation concerns a custody dispute over the 5-month-old child. Phoenix Police accuse him of pushing her with two hands, causing her to fall and break her right collarbone.
- "Daryl Washington Pro-Football-Reference Profile". rbref.com.
- NFL Draft - 2010 ILB Draft Prospects, CBSSports.com
- "Kindle a semifinalist for Butkus Award", Austin American-Statesman, October 16, 2009
- Associated Press (2013-04-03). "Cardinals ILB Washington suspended for 4 games". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved 2013-04-03.
- http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/scripts/meeds/qreturn.asp?casenumber=CR2013419745 case number CR2013419745
- http://bigstory.ap.org/article/phoenix-police-seek-question-daryl-washington Phoenix police seek to question Daryl Washington
- http://bigstory.ap.org/article/cardinals-linebacker-arrested-accused-assault Cardinals linebacker arrested, accused of assault