David Marshall (British politician)
|Member of Parliament
for Glasgow East
Glasgow Shettleston (1979–2005)
3 May 1979 – 30 June 2008
|Preceded by||Myer Galpern|
|Succeeded by||John Mason|
7 May 1941 |
He has been a member of the Transport and General Workers' Union since 1960 and a member of the Labour Party since 1962. He worked in Glasgow as a Labour Party organiser from 1969, before becoming a full-time councillor. He was for three years, from 1972 a member of Glasgow City Council, and a member of Strathclyde Regional Council from 1974 until his election to Parliament.
He was elected as a Labour MP at the 1979 general election for Glasgow Shettleston following the retirement of Myer Galpern. He represented that constituency from then until the 2005 election, at which point he was elected from Glasgow East. He did not reach the front bench in his long parliamentary career, but served on many select committees, including chairing both the Transport (1987–1992) and Scotland committees (1992–1997). He was latterly a member of the Chairman's Panel.
On 27 June 2008 it was reported that he would stand down due to ill health. These reports have also linked his ill health with stress brought on by predictions that his parliamentary expenses were to be investigated. On 30 June he was appointed Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead, confirming his resignation.
He is married with a son and a daughter.
- Porter, Andrew (27 June 2008). "Labour MP David Marshall to quit causing Brown more by-election woe". London: Telegraph. Retrieved 2008-06-27.
- Russell, Ben (30 June 2008). "Glasgow MP to stand down on doctor's advice". London: Independent. Retrieved 2008-07-03.
- Manor of Northstead, HM Treasury Press Release 30 June 2008.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by David Marshall
- Guardian Unlimited Politics - Ask Aristotle: David Marshall MP
- TheyWorkForYou.com - David Marshall MP
- BBC Newsnight report into controversies around David Marshall's affairs as an MP on YouTube
- UK Parliament "Allowances by MP" for David Marshall
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Glasgow Shettleston
1979 – 2005
|New constituency||Member of Parliament for Glasgow East
2005 – 2008