Davis Airport (Michigan)
USGS aerial photograph, April 1999
USGS topographic map, July 1980
|IATA: none – ICAO: none – FAA LID: 2D8|
|Serves||East Lansing, Michigan|
|Location||DeWitt Township, Michigan|
|Elevation AMSL||845 ft / 258 m|
Davis Airport was situated at an elevation of 845 feet (258 m) above mean sea level northwest of the intersection of Coleman Road and Chandler Road in southeast Clinton County. The airport had five hangars at the east end of the airfield.
- Runway 9/27: 2,550 feet (777 m), Surface: Turf
- Runway 16/34: 2,460 feet (750 m), Surface: Turf
- Runway 4/22: 2,025 feet (617 m), Surface: Turf
After World War II Davis opened the airport then-located 2.5 miles (4.0 km) north of East Lansing, at the location of Chandler's Marsh. One of the earliest records of the airport is from the November 1954 Milwaukee Sectional Chart which then depicted Davis Airport as having a 2,100 feet (640 m) unpaved runway.
In January 1992, three man faced five felony charges for larceny, malicious destruction, and breaking into airplanes and a van at the airport. On August 6, 1992, a small plane skidded past a runway, hit an embankment, and flipped over Chandler Road, landing upside down in a ditch.
- List of airports in Michigan
- Clinton County, Michigan
- DeWitt Charter Township, Michigan
- East Lansing, Michigan
- Davis Airport, Online Highways, ohwy.com, retrieved 2010-Apr-28
- Freeman, Paul. Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields: Southeastern Michigan, airfields-freeman.com, retrieved 2010-Apr-26
- National Park Service, Chesapeake/Allegheny System Support Office. Photographs Written Historical and Descriptive Data, Historic American Engineering Record, p. 2, memory.loc.gov, May 1995, retrieved 2010-Apr-28
- Morris, David D. (1976). Lansing, Jackson, Ann Arbor and Automobiles. Ann Arbor, Michigan: Edwards Brothers. p. 106. LCCN 76363304.
- Associated Press. Men named in grave robbing charged again in airport thefts, Ludington Daily News, google.com, January 30, 1992, retrieved 2010-Apr-27
- Associated Press. One pilot avoids kids, dies in crash; another survives, Owosso Argus Press, google.com, August 7, 1992, retrieved 2010-Apr-27
- Trout, Sally (April 15, 1999). "Some want more business; some worry about noise, traffic, safety". Lansing State Journal. p. A1.