||Jazz, folk, Americana
||Songwriter, producer, musician
Dayna Kurtz is an American singer/songwriter from New Jersey. Her music is described as a blend of jazz, folk and pop. Living in Vermont nowadays, she records blues tracks also.
She was named the Female Songwriter of the Year by the National Academy of Songwriters.
Norah Jones (with whom Kurtz recorded a duet on her 2004 album) and Bonnie Raitt have raved about her in interviews, and she's performed on such high-profile radio shows as World Café, Mountain Stage and NPR's Morning Edition and Tell Me More.
She has toured with the likes of Elvis Costello, Richard Thompson, Mavis Staples, B.B. King, Dr. John, Richie Havens, as well as Rufus Wainwright, Keren Ann, Chris Whitley, and the Blind Boys of Alabama.
Her Secret Canon albums are her personally researched collection of lost and obscure blues and R&B gems from the 1940s-1960's.
Critic James Reed of the Boston Globe wrote in a review of Beautiful Yesterday that "there's no logical reason why singer-songwriter Dayna Kurtz is not a full-blown star".
- 1997 - Otherwise Luscious Life - live / (Deebles Music - OUT OF PRINT)
- 2002 - Postcards From Downtown / (Kismet Records, US) - featuring ETHEL
- 2003 - Love Gets in the Way / CD Single (Munich Records/Europe)
- 2003 - Postcards From Amsterdam (Live in Concert DVD) / (Munich Records, Europe, Kismet, USA)
- 2004 - Beautiful Yesterday / (Kismet Records, US) - featuring ETHEL
- 2004 - The Beautiful Yesterday Sessions LIMITED EDITION EP / (Kismet Records US, online only)
- 2006 - Nola / (Munich Records/Europe)
- 2006 - Another Black Feather / (Kismet Records US)
- 2009 - American Standard
- 2010 - For the Love of Hazel: Songs for Hazel Dickens - Dayna Kurtz & Mamie Minch (6 tracks)
- 2012 - Secret Canon Vol. 1
- 2013 - Secret Canon Vol. 2