Defenders of Dynatron City
|Defenders of Dynatron City|
Defenders of Dynatron City is a video game released for the Nintendo Entertainment System by JVC and Lucasfilm Games (later, LucasArts) in August 1992. The designer of the game was Gary Winnick. This was Winnick's first project as sole designer. He was previously the co-designer of Maniac Mansion, alongside Ron Gilbert.
The game centers on a team of superheroes who protect a futuristic metropolis from Dr. Mayhem and his robotic henchmen. The Defenders are:
- Ms. Megawatt (voiced by Whoopi Goldberg in the animated special), who can shoot electric bolts
- Jet Headstrong (voiced by Pat Fraley in the animated special), who can fire his head like a rocket.
- Buzzsaw Girl (voiced by Candi Milo in the animated special), who has a buzzsaw blade instead of legs.
- Toolbox (voiced by David Coburn in the animated special), a robot with a smashing hammer head.
- Monkey Kid (voiced by Brian Stokes Mitchell in the animated special), a blue monkey armed with exploding bananas.
- Radium Dog, who can fly and has jaws strong enough to pick up cars with his mouth.
The game won praise in its preproduction by many video game magazines for the creation of an original superhero team. However, when the game was released it was widely panned by video game critics for, among other things, having a notoriously poor hit detection that required extremely precise aim for attacks to hit enemies. 
The game was adapted into an animated pilot by DIC Entertainment. It failed to be picked up and was released on VHS. It featured the voices of Whoopi Goldberg, Tim Curry, and Christopher Walken. Fox Kids aired this pilot as a special on February 22, 1992.
- Smith, Rob (2008). Rogue Leaders: The Story of LucasArts.
- Defenders of Dynatron City at the Internet Movie Database
- Defenders of Dynatron City at AllMovie
|This action game–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|