Delta Blues (horse)
|Sire||Dance in the Dark (horse) (JPN)|
|Grandsire||Sunday Silence (USA)|
|Dam||Dixie Splash (USA)|
|Foaled||3 May 2001|
|Owner||Sunday Rac ing Co Ltd|
+A$3,300,000 = $8,492,037.
|Kikuka Sho (2004)
Stayers Stakes (2005)
Melbourne Cup (2006)
|JRA Best Horse by Home-Bred Sire (2004)
Australian Champion Stayer (2006/07)
|Last updated on 1 August 2011|
Delta Blues (デルタブルース, born 3 May 2001) is a Japanese Thoroughbred racehorse best known for winning the 2006 Melbourne Cup. He was the first Japanese horse to win the Cup. In doing so he defeated Pop Rock, another Japanese horse, also trained by Katsuhiko Sumii.
Other runs by Delta Blues include wins in the Domestic Grade One Kikuka Sho (Japanese St Leger) in October 2004, the Domestic Grade Two Stayers Stakes in December 2005, a third in the Grade Two Hanshin Daishoten on 19 March 2006 fifth in the Arima Kinen, and 10th in the Domestic Grade One Tenno Sho (Spring) on 30 April 30.
Delta Blues won the Best Horse by Home-Bred Sire JRA award in 2004.
2006 in Australia
In the 2006 Melbourne Cup, Delta Blues was ridden by Japanese jockey Yasunari Iwata who was the winner of the 2005 19th World Super Jockey Series. Delta Blues won the Melbourne Cup by a nose ahead of Pop Rock, with Maybe Better finishing in third place. Iwata Prior to the race, stable spokesman Keita Tanaka characterised Delta Blues as a "lazy horse", and trainer Sumii characterised him as "tough".
- Winner of the 2004 Kikuka Sho (JPN Domestic GI, Japanese St. Leger)
- Winner of the 2004 Best Horse by Home-Bred Sire JRA award.
- Winner of the 2006 Melbourne Cup
- Winner of the 2006–2007 Australian Champion Stayer
Dance in the Dark (JPN)
|Sunday Silence (USA)||Halo (USA)||Hail to Reason (USA)|
|Wishing Well (USA)||Understanding(USA)|
|Mountain Flower (USA)|
|Dancing Key (USA)||Nijinsky (CAN)||Northern Dancer (CAN)|
|Flaming Page (CAN)|
|Key Partner (USA)||Key to the Mint (USA)|
|Native Partner (USA)|
Dixie Splash (USA)
|Dixieland Band (USA)||Northern Dancer (CAN)||Nearctic (CAN)|
|Mississippi Mud (USA)||Delta Judge (USA)|
|Sand Buggy (USA)|
|Ocean Jewel (USA)||Alleged (USA)||Hoist The Flag (USA)|
|Princess Pout (USA)|
|Lady Offshore (USA)||Sir Ivor (USA)|
|Bonnie Google (USA)|
- "Delta Blues". Australian Stud Book. Australian Turf Club Limited and Victoria Racing Club Limited. Retrieved 31 July 2011.
- 2006 Melbourne Cup result
- Delta Blues (JPN) - The Japan Association for International Horse Racing profile of Delta Blues
- Sumii goes for Pop Rock over Delta Blues - racingandsports.com.au
- JRA Award 2004
- "Tawqeet wins Caulfield Cup". Sydney Morning Herald. 21 October 2006. Retrieved 1 August 2011.
- Yasunari Iwata wins the 19th World Super Jockey Series
- Iwata wins World Super Jockey Series
- 2006 Melbourne Cup result
- Sports, Fox (2006-11-07). "Delta Blues holds on for thrilling win". News.com.au.
- International Flavour In The Caulfield Cup
|Wikinews has related news: Delta Blues wins 2006 Melbourne Cup|
- ABC News - Photo gallery of Delta Blues winning the 2006 Melbourne Cup