Apparently Secure (NatureServe)
Dimorphocarpa wislizeni, commonly known as spectacle pod, Wislizeni's spectaclepod, and touristplant, is a flowering plant in the mustard family native to western North America, where it occurs in the southwestern United States as far east as Oklahoma and Texas, and Baja California, Sonora, Chihuahua, and Coahuila in Mexico.
This species is an annual herb with a branching or unbranched stem 10 to 80 centimeters tall. The basal leaves are lance-shaped with toothed or lobed edges. Leaves higher on the stem are narrower, with less divided or smooth edges. The flowers have white or lavender petals 4 to 8 millimeters long. The fruit is a double-lobed, winged silicle that breaks in half at maturity, each lobe carrying a flat seed 2 or 3 millimeters wide.
The Zuni people applied a warm infusion of the pulverized plant to swelling, especially the throat. A decoction of entire plant was given for delirium. An infusion of the plant was taken by men to "loosen their tongues so they may talk like fools and drunken men." The flower and fruit eaten as an emetic for stomachaches.
- Dimorphocarpa wislizeni. Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN).
- Dimorphocarpa wislizeni. Flora of North America.
- Dimorphocarpa wislizeni. NatureServe. 2012.
- Stevenson, M. C. 1915. Ethnobotany of the Zuni Indians. SI-BAE Annual Report #30 (p.48-49)
- Stevenson, p.91
- Camazine, S. and R. A. Bye. 1980. A study of the medical ethnobotany of the Zuni Indians of New Mexico. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2 365-88. (p.375)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dimorphocarpa wislizeni.|
- Dimorphocarpa wislizeni. CalPhotos.
- Dimorphocarpa wislizeni, touristplant. USDA PLANTS.
- Dimorphocarpa wislizeni (Engelm.) Rollins. Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS).
- Dimorphocarpa wislizenii. National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI).
|This Brassicales article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Medicinal plants-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|