Originated after the launch of Earthcore in the early 90s, the slang term doof or bush doof refers to a type of outdoor dance party in Australia and New Zealand, generally held in a remote country area or just outside big cities in surrounding bush or rainforests and similar to raves or teknivals. Doofs generally have healing workshops, speakers, art, live artists and DJs playing a range of electronic music, commonly Goa, dub techno, Techno, Acid heavy sounds and Psychedelic trance. "Doof doof" is an Australian term for loud electronic music centred on a heavy bass drum kick.
The very first bush doof to be hosted within Australia and New Zealand was Earthcore back in 1993. During this era Melbourne was becoming heavily focused on inner city warehouse parties so the organisers of earthcore in a risky move took their events to the aussie bushlands spread over multiple days. Within a few years earthcore was labeled as the bush doof and shortly after saw the launch of Rainbow Serpent Festival into this niche industry. Since the turn of the 2000's until now both of these organisations have separately hosted their events to over 18,000 patrons in a single festival at various points on the timeline. Over the past few years saw the inclusion of many other similar bush doof spin offs that would eventually end in shaping the bush doof culture that is currently internationally recognised today.
In 2013 the Australian Macquarie Dictionary officially and publicly added the word bush doof to their index. 
The name is onomatopoeic, and is derived from the sound of the kick drum used in the electronic music frequently played at these events (as in "doof doof doof doof music"). Peter Strong relates that the name was born when a neighbour in early 1990s Sydney complained about the sound created by Non Bossy Posse: "What is this Doof Doof Doof all night long, this is not music" she exclaimed.
- The Doof-Doof Music, B.J. Coman, Quadrant Magazine, January 2005 - Volume XLIX Number 1–2
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Doof.|
- List of electronic music festivals
- Category:Trance festivals
- Category:Electronic music festivals in Australia
- Doofstory — Sydney Park to the Desert
- DoofCentral — Your Psychedelic Universe
- Earthdance — International Festival For Peace
- Elixir — Sydney-based, Free Tekno-Tribal Party Collective
- Ozdoof — Australia's Largest Psytrance party photos
- Spraci — Doof Resource Websites
- earthcore — The first bush doof in Australia
- FreeNRG: Notes From The Edge of the Dance Floor - ebook PDF on doof culture
- Soundcloud: Audio technication group for DJs, Bands or performance medium in sound from Australian Doof