|Related genres||Trance music, electronic dance music, goa, dub techno, psychedelic trance|
|Related events||Category:Music festivals,music festival, rave, trance festivals, electronic dance music festivals, teknivals, Category:Trance festivals, Category:Electronic music festivals in Australia|
Originated after the launch of Earthcore in the early 90s, the slang term doof or bush doof refers to a type of outdoor dance party in Australia and New Zealand, generally held in a remote country area or just outside big cities in surrounding bush or rainforests and similar to raves or teknivals. Doofs generally have healing workshops, speakers, art, live artists and DJs playing a range of electronic music, commonly goa, dub techno, Techno, acid heavy sounds and psychedelic trance. "Doof doof" is an Australian term for loud electronic music centred on a heavy bass drum kick.
The very first commercial doof party to be hosted within Australia and New Zealand was Earthcore back in 1993. The original term Bush Doof was created in Newtown when a neighbour knocking on the door said "what is this doof doof doof I hear", from there on it has became a term of endearment for what sprung up as the original electronic maker movement.
In 2013 the Australian Macquarie Dictionary officially and publicly added the word bush doof to their index.
The name is onomatopoeic, and is derived from the sound of the kick drum used in the electronic music frequently played at these events (as in "doof doof doof doof music"). Peter Strong relates that the name was born when a neighbour in early 1990s Sydney complained about the sound created by Non Bossy Posse: "What is this Doof Doof Doof all night long, this is not music" she exclaimed.
List of doofs
- Earthcore (1992-present)
- RoyalDoof Festival
- Rainbow Serpent Festival (1997-present)
- ConFest (~1997-2000s)
- Yemaya Festival
- Maitreya Festival
- BW Summer Festival
- Isotopia Festival
- The Doof-Doof Music, B.J. Coman, Quadrant Magazine, January 2005 - Volume XLIX Number 1–2
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Doof.|
- List of electronic music festivals
- List of festivals in Australia
- List of trance festivals#Australia
- Doofstory — Sydney Park to the Desert
- DoofCentral — Your Psychedelic Universe
- Elixir — Sydney-based, Free Tekno-Tribal Party Collective
- Ozdoof — Australia's Largest Psytrance party photos
- Spraci — Doof Resource Websites
- earthcore — The first bush doof in Australia
- FreeNRG: Notes From The Edge of the Dance Floor - ebook PDF on doof culture
- Soundcloud: Audio technication group for DJs, Bands or performance medium in sound from Australian Doof