Dorothy Bentinck, Duchess of Portland
|The Duchess of Portland|
Dorothy Bentinck, Duchess of Portland by George Romney
|Born||27 August 1750|
|Died||3 June 1794
|Title||Duchess of Portland|
|Spouse(s)||William Cavendish-Bentinck, 3rd Duke of Portland, Prime Minister of Great Britain|
|Children||William Bentinck, 4th Duke of Portland
Lord William Bentinck
Lady Charlotte Bentinck
Lady Mary Bentinck
Lord Charles Bentinck
Lord Frederick Bentinck
|Parents||William Cavendish, 4th Duke of Devonshire, Prime Minister of Great Britain and Lady Charlotte Boyle, 6th Baroness Clifford|
Dorothy Bentinck, Duchess of Portland (née Lady Dorothy Cavendish; 27 August 1750 - 3 June 1794) was Duchess of Portland and wife of William Cavendish-Bentinck, 3rd Duke of Portland, the Prime Minister of Great Britain. She is also a great-great-great-grandmother of Queen Elizabeth II through her maternal grandmother.
Marriage and children
On 8 November 1766, Lady Dorothy Cavendish was married to William Cavendish-Bentinck, 3rd Duke of Portland. They were parents of six children:
- William Bentinck, 4th Duke of Portland (24 June 1768 – 27 March 1854).
- Lord William Henry Cavendish-Bentinck (14 September 1774 – 17 June 1839).
- Lady Charlotte Cavendish-Bentinck (3 October 1775 – 28 July 1862). Married Charles Greville, and they had three sons: Charles Cavendish Fulke Greville, Algernon Greville, and Henry William Greville (1801–1872), and a daughter, Harriet (1803-1870) m. Francis Egerton, 1st Earl of Ellesmere.
- Lady Mary Cavendish-Bentinck (13 March 1779 – 6 November 1843).
- Lord Charles Bentinck (3 October 1780 – 28 April 1826). Paternal grandfather of Cecilia Bowes-Lyon, Countess of Strathmore and Kinghorne.
- Lord Frederick Cavendish-Bentinck (2 November 1781 – 11 February 1828) married Mary Lowther (d. 1863), daughter of William Lowther, September 16, 1820; had issue: George Cavendish-Bentinck.
Titles and styles
- 27 August 1750 – 8 November 1766 : Lady Dorothy Cavendish
- 8 November 1766 – 3 June 1794 : Her Grace The Duchess of Portland
|Ancestors of Dorothy Bentinck, Duchess of Portland|
The Countess of Shelburne (née Lady Louisa FitzPatrick; later Marchioness of Lansdowne)
|Spouse of the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
Ursula Addington (née Hammond; later Viscountess Sidmouth)