Duets (Kenny Rogers album)
|Compilation album by Kenny Rogers|
|Kenny Rogers chronology|
Duets opens with "We've Got Tonight", a hit 1983 single with Sheena Easton. Side two begins with another classic duet, "Don't Fall in Love with a Dreamer" with Kim Carnes from the 1980 album Gideon. All of the remaining eight songs on the album are with Dottie West and come from his two collaboration albums with West, including the 1978 hit "Every Time Two Fools Collide" from the 1978 album of the same name. However, their duet "What Are We Doin' in Love" (a #1 country and top 40 pop hit) from 1981 is missing.
Also included on this album is Sonny and Cher's "All I Ever Need Is You". Rogers' producer Larry Butler co-wrote "(Hey Won't You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song" with Chips Moman. "'Til I Can Make It On My Own" and "That's the Way It Could Have Been" are two Tammy Wynette numbers.
While this is a compilation album, there was still a single released from it. "Together Again", one of the many duets with West and which first appeared on Classics, reached #19 on the US country chart and #29 in Canada.
The album was eventually certified platinum and gold in the US and Canada, respectively. It reached #43 on the US country charts and #85 on the pop charts in 1984. It was one of three Kenny Rogers albums to chart that year, the others being new releases on RCA.
All tracks with Dottie West, unless otherwise indicated.
- "We've Got Tonight" (With Sheena Easton) (Bob Seger) (3:52)
- "Every Time Two Fools Collide" (John Dyes, Jeffrey M. Tweel) (3:01)
- "(Hey Won't You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song" (Larry Butler, Chips Moman) (3:11)
- "'Til I Can Make It on My Own" (George Richey, Billy Sherrill, Tammy Wynette) (3:20)
- "All I Ever Need Is You" (Jimmy Holiday, Eddie Reeves) (3:09)
- "Don't Fall in Love with a Dreamer" (With Kim Carnes) (Kim Carnes, Dave Ellingson) (3:41)
- "Baby I'm-A Want You" (David Gates) (2:47)
- "Together Again" (Buck Owens) (2:56)
- "Anyone Who Isn't Me Tonight" (Julie Didler, Casey Kelly) (2:22)
- "That's the Way It Could Have Been" (Wynette) (3:04)
- Track 1 from We've Got Tonight (1983)
- Tracks 2, 7, 9, 10 from Every Time Two Fools Collide (1978)
- Tracks 3-5, 8 from Classics (1979)
- Track 6 from Gideon (1980)
|Chart (1984)||Peak position|
|U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums||43|
|U.S. Billboard 200||85|
|Canadian RPM Top Albums||64|