Eggerland Mystery, European cover art, with cart and box art mirrored
Eggerland Mystery (エッガーランド ミステリー Eggerland Misuteri?) is a 1985 puzzle game for MSX computer systems produced by HAL Laboratory. It is the first game in the Eggerland series. Its main characters named Roro and Lala, would later be renamed for the worldwide release of the future Adventures of Lolo series, and a demo of the final game in the series, Eggerland Episode 0: Quest of Rara.
"King Eden and his three daughters governed Eden Land with love and peace and the land was blessed with a rich harvest for many years. However, one day monsters appeared who longed to make Eden Land their own dominion. They attacked the land, frightened the people, and kidnapped the eldest daughter of the royal family (Lala). Edenah, the great guardian of Eden Land, witnessed the whole spectacle and grew angry, confining the monsters to an underground realm known as Eggerland. Then, he split his body up into Diamond Framers and his heart into four parts (North, South, East, and West) and discovered a young man named Lolo that would set forth in Eggerland to rescue Lala and defeat the monsters residing their by solving the complex labyrinth. Lolo discovered the Four Gods, collected the Diamond Framers, and saved Lala, escaping the monsters' pursuit. The King was impressed and permitted them to be married and they were given a beautiful land from the great Edenah and became king and queen and were loved forever."
- This game was rather popular due to its innovation and challenge. There are 105 rooms in the game as well as a map construction mode.
- Leepers, Rockies, and Don Medusas are not in this game, but appear in the sequel Eggerland 2.
- Unlike future games, this game involves collecting Diamond Framers instead of Heart Framers.
- This is the only game to contain the Emerald Framer power, which allows Lolo to place an EF in front of him. It was replaced with the Hammer power in all other games.
- The speed of the gameplay is about half of the NES titles.
- There are timed bonus maps, which involve infinite magic shots and shooting all monsters off the screen.
- The game has been released under different names internationally. The name of the Italian version is "Natalino Folle".
- Eggerland Mystery at MobyGames
- Eggerland Project - Complete information on the Eggerland series as well as custom-made Eggerland games.
- Hardcore Gaming 101: Eggerland / Adventures of Lolo - An English article about the Eggerland series and all its games.
- http://www.mobygames.com/game/msx/eggerland-mystery/cover-art/gameCoverId,141604/ Japanese box art showing the characters original names as Roro, and Lala, at MobyGames.com
- "UVL List Eggerland Mystery entry". Retrieved 9 December 2008.