End of the Line (Traveling Wilburys song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)|
|"End of the Line"|
|Single by Traveling Wilburys|
|from the album Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1|
|Released||23 January 1989 (US)
20 February 1989 (UK)
|Format||7" single, 12" single, 3" CD single, Cassette single|
Roy Orbison 
|Producer(s)||Nelson Wilbury, Otis Wilbury|
|Traveling Wilburys singles chronology|
"End of the Line" is the last track from the Traveling Wilburys' first album, Volume 1, released in 1989. Its riding-on-the-rails rhythm suggests its theme and the on-the-move nature of the group. It features all the Wilburys, except Bob Dylan, as lead singers; George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, and Roy Orbison sing the choruses in turn, while Tom Petty sings the verses. The song then expands into a "freight train" rhythm to underscore its theme.
It was released as the second single from the album, eventually peaking at number 63 in the U.S. on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
The music video for "End of the Line" was filmed after Roy Orbison's death in December 1988. To honor the loss, a shot of a guitar sitting in a rocking chair next to a photo of Orbison was used when Orbison's vocals are heard.
A version sung by Dennis Waterman was used as the theme tune for the pilot of the BBC production, New Tricks. The song has also been included in TV spots for the 2004 film The Terminal, as well as the trailer for the 2007 hit comedy Knocked Up.
Tom Petty played this song live during his 2008 U.S. tour.
Harrison was honored in a song by Bob Rivers, a dynamic American rock and roll radio on-air personality, who is also a prolific producer/writer of parody songs. The song, "No Where Near the End of My Time" (likely recorded in 2001), is a good example of the way in which many of Rivers' "Twisted Tunes," as he calls them, show every sign of homage rather than mean-spiritedness.
- 7" single, Cassette single
- A "End of the Line" (LP Version) – 3:30
- B "Congratulations" (LP Version) – 3:30
- 12" single, 3" CD single
- A "End of the Line" (Extended Version) – 5:34
- B "Congratulations" (LP Version) – 3:29
- Bob Dylan - backing vocals, acoustic rhythm guitar
- George Harrison - lead vocals (1st, 4th, and 7th verses), backing vocals, slide guitar
- Jim Keltner - drums
- Jeff Lynne - lead vocals (2nd, 5th, and 6th verses), electric rhythm guitar
- Roy Orbison - lead vocals (3rd verse), electric rhythm guitar
- Tom Petty - lead vocals (choruses), bass guitar