English Bazar (Vidhan Sabha constituency)
|Vidhan Sabha constituency|
|Lok Sabha constituency||8. Maldaha Dakshin|
|Electorate (year)||208,204 (2011)|
As per orders of the Delimitation Commission, No. 51 English Bazar (Vidhan Sabha constituency) covers English Bazar municipality and Amriti, Binodpur, Jadupur I, Jadupur II, Kajigram, Kotwali and Mahadipur gram panchayats of English Bazar community development block,
2013 bye election
The 2013 by-election was necessitated by the switch-over of sitting Congress MLA Krishnendu Narayan Choudhury to Trinamool Congress.
|West Bengal legislative assembly bye election, 2013: English Bazar|
|AITMC||Krishnendu Narayan Choudhury||70,791||39.33||+39.33|
|CPI(M)||Koushik Mishra (Saheb)||50,339||27.96||-11.19|
|INC||Narendra Nath Tiwari||45,271||25.15||-26.64|
|Independent||Md. Anisur Rahaman||1,296|
|AITMC gain from INC||Swing|
In the 2011 election, Krishnendu Narayan Chowdhury of Congress defeated his nearest rival Samarananda Roy of CPI(M).
|West Bengal assembly elections, 2011: English Bazar |
|INC||Krishnendu Narayan Choudhury||89,421||51.79||+0.48#|
|BJP||Gobinda Chandra Mandal||10,116||5.86|
|BSP||Nitish Kumar Mandal||147|
.# Swing based on Congress+Trinamool Congress vote percentages taken together in 2006.
|Party||Seats won||Seat change|
|Indian National Congress||8||4|
|Communist Party of India (Marxist)||1||5|
|Revolutionary Socialist Party||1||1|
Note: New constituencies – 4, constituencies abolished – 3 (See template talk page for details)
In the 2006 state assembly elections, Krishnendu Narayan Choudhury of Congress won the English Bazar assembly seat defeating his nearest rival Samar Roy of CPI(M). Contests in most years were multi cornered but only winners and runners are being mentioned. Samar Roy of CPI(M) defeated Goutam Chakraborty of Congress in 2001. Goutam Chakraborty of Congress defeated Ashok Bhattacharya of CPI(M) in 1996. Prabaht Acharya of CPI(M) defeated Pradip Kar of Congress in 1991. Sailen Sarkar of CPI(M) defeated Ashok Kundu of Congress in 1987, Swapan Mitra of Congress in 1982 and Hari Prasanna Mitra of Janata Party in 1977.
- "Delimitation Commission Order No. 18". West Bengal. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- "Congress retains Rejinagar seat, loses Nalhati". PTI, 28 February 2013. moneycontrol.com. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "Form 21E Return of Elections". 51 English Bazar Assembly Constituency. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "West Bengal Assembly Election 2011". English Bazar. Empowering India. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "English Bazar". Assembly Elections May 2011 Results. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-05-26.
- "West Bengal Assembly Election 2011". English Bazar. Empowering India. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- "List of Contesting Candidates, Phase I". West Bengal Assembly Election 2011. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-05-31.
- "46 - Englishbazar Assembly Constituency". Partywise Comparison Since 1977. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2010-09-26.
- "Statistical Reports of Assembly Elections". General Election Results and Statistics. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2010-09-26.