Eric Wright (cornerback, born 1985)
No. 30 San Francisco 49ers
|Date of birth:July 24, 1985|
|Place of birth: San Francisco, California|
|High school: San Francisco (CA) Riordan|
|College: Nevada–Las Vegas|
|NFL Draft: 2007 / Round: 2 / Pick: 53|
|Debuted in 2007 for the Cleveland Browns|
|Roster status: Active|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2013
Eric Andrew Wright (born July 24, 1985) is an American football cornerback for the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the second round of the 2007 NFL Draft. He played college football at USC and UNLV.
Wright has also been a member of the Detroit Lions.
Wright attended USC for two years before attending UNLV. After being redshirted his first year, he was a starter his second year, and started in the 2005 Orange Bowl game, where he recorded four tackles and an interception.
Wright transferred to UNLV after he was suspected of off the field issues, which saw no charges filed. Wright sat out the 2005 season due to NCAA transfer guidelines. Wright played one year at UNLV before deciding to declare for the NFL Draft. He was a university studies major.
Wright was drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the second round (53rd overall) of the 2007 NFL Draft. The Browns acquired the pick from the Dallas Cowboys to select Wright. While he was a projected first round pick, he fell to the second round due to his troubled college past.
In Wright's first season with the Browns, he started 13 of 16 games. He recorded his first career interception on October 14, 2007, against Miami Dolphins quarterback Cleo Lemon. He won his first Defensive Player of the Week award after his performance during week 6 of the 2008 NFL season against the New York Giants, where he had a 94-yard interception return for a touchdown.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
On July 19, 2013, Wright was traded from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to the San Francisco 49ers for a conditional late-round 2014 draft pick . After Wright failed his team physical, the trade was voided causing his rights to revert to the Buccaneers who subsequently released him.
San Francisco 49ers
- Goldberg, Dave (2007-04-29). "Bad Character Guys Drop in NFL Draft". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2009-11-23.
- Bell, Jarrett (2007-05-01). "Browns take chance on Wright despite his off-field issues". USA Today. Retrieved 2009-11-24.
- Withers, Tom (2008-10-15). "Browns CB Eric Wright stars in 'prime time'". USA Today. Retrieved 2009-11-23.
- Detroit Lions sum up first official practice: 'Crisp' MLive.com July 29, 2011
- Bucs sign Carl Nicks, Eric Wright
- Rosenthal, Gregg (July 22, 2013). "Eric Wright fails his 49ers physical, cut by Buccaneers". NFL.com. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- Barrows, Matthew (August 9, 2013). "49ers notes: Niners sign Eric Wright to help at cornerback". The Sacramento Bee. Retrieved August 9, 2013.
- Brinson, Will (August 27, 2013). "2013 NFL Roster Cuts: Tracking teams down to 75 Tuesday". CBSSports.com. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- Eric Wright on Twitter
- Eric Wright Official Web Site
- UNLV bio
- USC Trojans bio
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers bio