Keith Rivers wearing the famed #55 jersey during his tenure at USC.
|No. 56 Dallas Cowboys|
|Date of birth:||May 5, 1986|
|Place of birth:||San Bernardino, California|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||235 lb (107 kg)|
|High school:||Lake Mary (FL)|
|NFL draft:||2008 / Round: 1 / Pick: 9|
|Career highlights and awards|
Career NFL statistics as of 2014
|Stats at NFL.com|
Keith Rivers (born May 5, 1986) is an American football linebacker for the Dallas Cowboys of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals ninth overall in the 2008 NFL Draft and has also played for the New York Giants and Buffalo Bills.. He played college football at USC.
Rivers was a highly decorated letterman in football at Lake Mary High School in Lake Mary, Florida. His awards include USA Today All-USA first team, Parade All-American, Super Prep All-American, Prep Star All-American, EA Sports All-American, Insiders.com All-American, Super Prep Elite 50, Prep Star Top 100 Dream Team, Lemming Top 10, Super Prep All-Dixie, Prep Star All-Southeast, Fox Sports Net All-South, Gatorade Florida Player of the Year and Florida Class 6A Mr. Football runner-up as a senior linebacker. He played in the 2004 U.S. Army All-American Bowl.
Rivers was heavily recruited. Then-University of Florida coach Ron Zook, noted for his recruiting ability, made a strong push, including talking to Rivers at 2 a.m. on National Signing Day in 2003. In the end, Rivers selected USC; and, to cinch the pact, the Trojan coaching staff committed to bestowing Rivers, a worthy future player, with the famed USC linebacker jersey # 55 to wear during his Trojan career, which is selectively awarded and has traditionally been given to a promising linebacker with the potential of becoming a USC football and NFL great, and includes past Trojan and NFL star players, all members of the so-called USC linebacker "Club 55", such as Junior Seau, Willie McGinest and Chris Claiborne.
Rivers was on the watch list for the 2006 Bednarik Award, Lombardi Award, Bronco Nagurski Trophy, and Lott Trophy. He was 2006 Rivals.com and coaches first team all-Pac-10. The All-American selection with 78 tackles, Rivers decided to stay for his senior season.
Rivers was a 2007 preseason Sporting News, Street & Smith's, Lindy's, Phil Steele's, Blue Ribbon and NationalChamps.net All-American. At the end of the 2007 regular season, Rivers was selected to the All-Pacific-10 Conference first team for the second year in a row by league coaches. He was also selected to the SI.com All-American First-team.
He graduated from USC with a Bachelor of Science in Public Policy, Management, and Planning.
Keith Rivers began his rookie season with 10 tackles against the Baltimore Ravens. In the following game against the Tennessee Titans, Rivers totaled 8 tackles. Against the New York Giants, Rivers recorded two tackles, while against the Cleveland Browns Rivers defensive production totaled 8 tackles. Rivers' rookie season was abruptly ended due to a shattered jaw suffered by a blindside block by Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward in Week 7, where Ward used his helmet to strike an unexpecting Rivers full-force in the chinstrap. That action and the season-ending injury that resulted led to the NFL instituting the "Hines Ward Rule"  after the season, whereby it would henceforth be illegal for blockers to land a blindside block using their helmet, forearm or shoulder, to strike at the head or neck area of a defender.
Despite missing the final nine games, Rivers finished his rookie season with 37 tackles, one interception, and a forced fumble. Rivers received the only vote for 2008 Defensive Rookie of the Year that didn't go to winner Jerod Mayo.
New York Giants
|Year||Team||Games||Combined Tackles||Tackles||Assisted Tackles||Sacks||Forced Fumbles||Fumble Recoveries||Fumble Return Yards||Interceptions||Interception Return Yards||Return Yards per Interception||Longest Interception Return||Interceptions Returned for Touchdown||Passes Defended|
- USC Trojans, Keith Rivers, USC Player Bio, November 14, 2007.
- Chris Harry, Rivers lives up to No. 55, Orlando Sentinel, February 25, 2008.
- http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20080421/ai_n25352906. Missing or empty
- Mark Saxon, USC's Shark attack, The Orange County Register, August 24, 2007.
- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/01/11/usc.rivers.ap/index.html. Missing or empty
- Pac-10 Football Awards and All-Conference Team Announced, Pacific 10 Conference, December 3, 2007.
- SI.com's All-Americas, SI.com, December 11, 2007.
- James Walker, Rookie Rivers should fill immediate Bengals' needs, ESPN.com, May 31, 2008, Accessed June 4, 2008.
- Bengals ink Rivers
- NFL approves 'Hines Ward rule', Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, March 24 2009
- Patriots' Mayo wins Defensive Rookie of Year award
- "Keith Rivers traded from Bengals to Giants for fifth-round pick". NFL.com.
- Bills, LB Keith Rivers agree to terms
- Keith Rivers signs one-year contract with Cowboys
- "Keith Rivers Stats". ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 4 March 2014.