Estill, South Carolina
|Estill, South Carolina|
Location of Estill, South Carolina
|• Total||3.5 sq mi (9.2 km2)|
|• Land||3.5 sq mi (9.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||112 ft (34 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||29918, 29939|
|GNIS feature ID||1222302|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012)|
Estill is located 52 miles North of Savannah, Georgia, 64 miles Northwest of Hilton Head Island, SC and 93 miles West of Charleston, SC. The major industries are timber and agriculture.
The town of Estill is located in the southern half of Hampton County. The town is named for Colonel John Holbrook Estill. Estill was formed in 1900 when the railroad, later Seaboard Air Lines Railroad, needed a rail line between Augusta, Georgia and Savannah, Georgia. Upon construction of the rail line, the new town of Estill was incorporated in 1905.
Federal Correctional Institution, Estill is located near the town.
There are four schools in the town: Estill High, Estill Middle and Estill Elementary school, all of which are a part of Hampton County's School District number two, and there is also a private school called Patrick Henry Academy.
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,040 people, residing in the town. The racial makeup of the town was 16.0% White, 77.7% African American, 0.6% Native American, 0.1% from other races, and 0.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.8% of the population.
There were 909 households, in which 79.5% were occupied and 20.5% were vacant.
In the town the population was spread out, with 30.8% under the age of 18, 11.5% from 20 to 29, 10.3 from 30 to 39, 12.0% from 40 to 49, and 12.6% from 50 to 59, 11.9% from 60 to 69 and 10.85 over 69 years old.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Town of Estill History". Retrieved 4/7/2012. Check date values in:
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "National Register of Historic Places Listings". Weekly List of Actions Taken on Properties: 10/09/12 through 10/12/12. National Park Service. 2012-10-19.