Expedition to Earth
Cover of the 1st edition
|Author||Arthur C. Clarke|
|Cover artist||Richard Powers|
|Genre||Science fiction Short stories|
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
There are at least two variants of this book's table of contents—in different editions of the book (perhaps with different ISBNs). Both variants include the stories History Lesson and Encounter in the Dawn. But only one story is included under its own title; other story is included under the title "Expedition to Earth". Variants differ in the story that is included under its own title.
This collection, originally published in 1953, includes:
- "Second Dawn"
- "If I Forget Thee, Oh Earth"
- "Breaking Strain"
- "History Lesson" (as "Expedition to Earth" in the British Edition, Sidgwick & Jackson, 1954)
- "Exile of the Eons" (as "Nemesis" in the British Edition, Sidgwick & Jackson, 1954)
- "Expedition to Earth" (as "Encounter in the Dawn" in the British Edition, Sidgwick & Jackson, 1954)
- "The Sentinel"
Boucher and McComas selected the collection as one of the best sf books of 1953, praising the stories' "humor, technical ideas, science-fictional thinking and all-around excellence." P. Schuyler Miller praised it as "an excellent collection . . . span[ning] the whole range of [Clarke's] talents. Writing in the Hartford Courant, reviewer R. W. Wallace declared that the stories "show [Clarke] as a more skilled literary artist" than even his novel Childhood's End had.
- Tuck, Donald H. (1974). The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy. Chicago: Advent. p. 101. ISBN 0-911682-20-1.