Eyes Set to Kill
|Eyes Set to Kill|
Eyes Set To Kill at Warped Tour 2010.
|Origin||Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.|
|Genres||Metalcore, post-hardcore, screamo, alternative metal|
|Labels||Century Media, Maphia, Forsee, Suburban Noize, BreakSilence, Koch|
|Associated acts||The Attraction, Greeley Estates, Alesana, The Dead Rabbitts, The Word Alive, LoveHateHero|
|Past members||Spencer Merrill
Eyes Set to Kill is an American post-hardcore band from Phoenix, Arizona. Sisters Alexia and Anissa Rodriguez, along with former vocalist Lindsey Vogt started the band in 2003. Lindsey Vogt departed the band in mid-2007 due to issues with management. Lindsey would go on to form a solo project known as "The Taro Sound", and eventually formed the band "The Attraction." After Lindsey's departure, Alexia assumed her position as lead vocalist as well as guitarist.
The World Outside received widespread critical acclaim and the group was featured on the cover of USA Today, as one of Alternative Press Magazine's "100 Bands You Need To Know", and hosted an episode of MTV's Headbangers Ball. Broken Frames was ranked fifth on the list of "Locals Only: The Best Albums and EPs in 2010".
- 1 History
- 2 Band members
- 3 Discography
- 4 Awards and nominations
- 5 References
- 6 External links
The band's name was derived from a line out of a poem Alexia wrote in secondary school. Eyes Set to Kill began in 2003 as a three-piece band from Tempe, Arizona. Alexia Rodriguez (lead guitar, vocals), Anissa Rodriguez (bass guitar), and Lindsey Vogt (lead vocals), searched the local area for musicians to join their band. Despite sharing the stage with several signed and unsigned artists, including Chiodos, Blessthefall, Goodbye Tomorrow, My American Heart, and Greeley Estates, the initial combination they found was only temporary, and over the next several months, the band continued to undergo changes in their musical lineup. In early 2006, three men joined the line-up of Eyes Set to Kill, those men being Alex Torres (guitar), Brandon Anderson (vocals), and Caleb Clifton (drums). The band worked for Eyes Set to Kill to be active after losing half of their members, and went on to record an EP in 2006 with Arizona's Larry Elyea and his studio, Minds Eye Digital.
When Silence is Broken, the Night is Torn (2006)
Eyes Set to Kill's original EP featuring guitarist Alex Torres and original vocalist, Lindsey Vogt. The album featured ten songs (six of which were re-recorded for the full length album, Reach), the EP sold 11,000 units, and was recorded locally at Mind's Eye Digital Recording Studios in Glendale, AZ with Larry Elyea and Keaton.
The World Outside (2008-2009)
Eyes Set to Kill's second album, The World Outside, was released June 2, 2009. Alexia stated that this new album is "a lot darker." On April 23, 2009, they posted the song "Heights" on their Myspace page. Craig Mabbitt was a guest vocalist on the song "Deadly Weapons".
The World Outside sold 2,400 copies in the United States in its first week of release, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The World Outside peaked at No. 9 on the Billboard Heatseekers chart and No. 26 on the Independent Albums chart
On July 7, 2009, it was announced that lead singer Alexia will be recording an acoustic EP after being inspired to do so following performing the song "Come Home." Recording began on July 8, 2009. Also the acoustic EP was stated to be Limited Edition and only available at their shows.
On March 25, 2010 at the Icon in Pocatello, Idaho they announced that they had finished recording their third album, but did not announce a release date. However, on March 26, 2010, at Kilby Court in Salt Lake City, Utah, (Jesse Perez was there and heard the announcement) they announced that the new album would be released in June 2010.
Broken Frames (2010-2011)
Their third studio album, called Broken Frames, was released on June 8, 2010. The first single from the album is called "All You Ever Knew", and was released on April 1, 2010 on revolvermag.com and on their MySpace page. Brandon Anderson had resigned from the band, and "quit for a girl, but it wasn't just that. He really damaged his vocal chords and he can't scream anymore," band member Caleb says. Frontwoman Alexia said of the album, "I have a lot of memories that I want to forget about. So I wanted to base the theme of the song on that feeling. I have had a friend pass away; I have broken hearts; I have lost faith at times; and I have made mistakes that I can’t even count anymore. So all of the memories of these things inspired me to write about them on this album. We really wanted this first song to be the heaviest and the most evolved sounding track compared to the tracks on The World Outside. 'Broken Frames' is the first song we finished for this record and the first song we tried out this theme on. So I guess you could call this a concept album about everything I want to forget." The song "Ryan" is about Alexia's guitar teacher, who taught her almost everything she knows. She says "he was always a happy person, but not in the inside I guess." One day she went in for lessons, he wasn't there and she later found out he had shot himself in the chest. So she really just wanted to write a song about him. Anissa wrote the piano part in the song.
It was stated on Eyes Set To Kill's Twitter that they will be playing 3 brand new songs at The Chain Reaction in Anaheim, CA March 20, 2011 They played with Rosalynn, Black Veil Brides, Confide, and From First to Last. One of the new songs that debuted is called "Where I Want To Be."
On March 2, 2011 it was announced that Eyes Set To Kill would be playing the Vans Warped Tour 2011.
Underground Sounds (2010-2011)
On October 12, 2010, Alexia "Lexia" Rodriguez released her debut solo album called "Underground Sounds." The album includes a few of ESTK's songs such as "Come Home," with the debut single's acoustic version of "Reach" and a cover of Radiohead's "Climbing Up the Walls." On October 26, 2010, "Let Me In" was released as Lexia's first single with a video under her first solo album "Lexia: Underground Sounds." The song is featured as a bonus track from their third studio album, Broken Frames. On January 27, 2011, in a blogspot written by Alexia Rodriguez, she reveals the departure of Greg Kerwin. Replacing Greg on guitar for their Alaska tour is David Molina. In 2011, Alexia Rodriguez was featured in the song "Cross-Eyed Catastrophe" on The Black Crown by Suicide Silence.
White Lotus (2011)
Eyes Set to Kill entered the studio in Ocala, FL with producer Andrew Wade to record a new album on April 27. It was stated on May 11 that the new LP was complete. The first song to be released is called "The Secrets Between" and will be on the 2011 Warped Tour Compilation CD out June 7. It was announced that a song would be streaming on www.revolvermag.com on June 7 and available as a free track on June 10.
It was announced on May 30 that the LP would be titled "White Lotus." On June 7, Eyes Set to Kill announced they started their own record label, Forsee Records, and would no longer be with Breaksilence Records. They released White Lotus through a joint venture between their own label Forsee Records and Maphia Entertainment on August 9.
Signing to Century Media Records and Masks (2011–present)
On July 19, 2012 it was announced that Eyes Set To Kill had signed to Century Media Records. The band will enter the studio early next year with producer Steve Evetts (Suicide Silence and The Dillinger Escape Plan) to record its next album and debut for Century Media Records. The album is set to be released in spring 2013. On December 20, 2012, the band reached 1,000,000 likes on Facebook prompting them to release a free download of a new demo for their upcoming album entitled  "Masks" the following day. "Masks" was released on September 17, 2013.
"I felt like we were wearing a bunch of masks to impress people," offered singer, songwriter, and guitarist Alexia Rodriguez of the album's title. "At one point, I had a bit of a revelation. We have gone through so many changes over the years, but it wasn't about anybody else. It was about us - we've really found the band's face at this point. We aren't wearing masks anymore."
On February 7, 2014, Cisko Miranda announced he has parted ways with the band.
- Current members
- Alexia Rodriguez - clean vocals, lead guitar (2003–present)
- Anissa Rodriguez - bass (2003–present)
- Caleb Clifton - drums (2006–present)
- Manny Contreras - rhythm guitar (2014–present)
- Former members
- Cisko Miranda - rhythm guitar (2012-2014), unclean vocals (2010–2014)
- Lindsey Vogt - lead vocals (2003-2006)
- Spencer Merrill - unclean vocals (2003)
- Austin Vanderbur - unclean vocals (2003–2005)
- Brandon Anderson - keyboards, unclean vocals (2005–2010)
- Justin Denson - unclean vocals (2010)
- Greg Kerwin - lead guitar (2007–2011)
- Zack Hansen - rhythm guitar (2003–2005)
- John Moody - rhythm guitar (2005–2006)
- Alex Torres - rhythm guitar (2006–2007)
- David Phipps - drums (2003)
- Milad Sadegi - drums (2003–2006)
- Touring members
- Justin Whitesel - guitar (2011)
- David Molina - guitar (2011)
- Studio albums
- The Best of ESTK (2011)
Awards and nominations
Revolver Golden Gods Awards
|2010||Alexia & Anissa Rodriguez||Hottest Chick(s) in Metal||Nominated|
- "Eyes Set to Kill Interview". EverythingRocks. March 14, 2012.
- "Luckily for Eyes Set to Kill "The Listening" is Only the Second Worst Song I've Heard Today". MetalSucks. March 5, 2010.
- "Eyes Set to Kill - White Lotus". Alter the Press!. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- "Interview: Eyes Set to Kill". Alter the Press!. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- "Eyes Set to Kill". Under the Gun. July 21, 2012. "The female-fronted post hardcore band, Eyes Set To Kill, have recently announced that they have signed with Century Media Records."
- "Eyes Set to Kill - The World Outside (Staff Review)". Sputnik's staff. May 31, 2009.
- Heaney, Gregory. "Eyes Set to Kill" (band bio). AllMusic. Retrieved 4 September 2011. "...Arizona's Eyes Set to Kill set out to create their own take on the screamo genre."
- "Eyes Set to Kill: Reach". Sea of Tranquility. April 6, 2008.
- "Eyes Set to Kill - When Silence is Broken the Night is Torn". Absolute Punk. February 23, 2007.
- "Eyes Set to Kill - Reach". Absolute Punk. March 27, 2008.
- "Eyes Set to Kill - When Silence is Broken, the Night is Torn". Bobby Gorman. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- "Eyes Set to Kill - White Lotus". Allmusic. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- indiestar.tv Graf Wall: Eyes Set To Kill launches their own record label, Forsee Records
- "Eyes Set to Kill - "Broken Frames" Suburban Noize Records". YouTube. 2010-07-10. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- Heaney, Gregory. "Biography". Allmusic.
- Eyes Set to Kill's Official Biography in Myspace
- Cizmar, Martin
- Billboard, Allmusic
- Interview, NewsTimes
- "Eyes Set To Kill Magazine - News, Reviews, Albums and Videos". Idiomag.com. 2009-07-24. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- Heatseeker Charts, Billboard.com
- Independent Charts, Billboard.com
- "Exclusive MP3: Eyes Set to Kill Premiere "All You Ever Knew," the First Single From Their New Album - Revolver Music". Revolvermag.com. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- Blabbermouth.Net - Eyes Set To Kill'S Alexia Rodriguez To Release Solo Album
- BLABBERMOUTH.NET - EYES SET TO KILL Frontwoman Releases 'Let Me In' Video
- Alternative Press | News | Eyes Set To Kill part ways with guitarist/vocalist Greg Kerwin
- Alternative Press | News | Eyes Set To Kill sign to Century Media Records; plan spring, 2013 album release
- "2010 Revolver Golden Gods Awards Nominees". Heavymetal.about.com. Retrieved 2010-07-02.