The featherweight division in mixed martial arts can refer to a number of different weight classes:
- UFC's & Pancrase's featherweight division, which groups competitors within 136 to 145 lb (62 to 66 kg)
- Shooto's featherweight division, which limits competitors to 132 lb (60 kg)
- SRC's (defunct) featherweight division, which formerly limited competitors to 143 lb (65 kg), revised to 145 lb (66 kg)
- Dream's (defunct) featherweight division, which formerly limited competitors to 139 lb (63 kg), revised to 143.3 lb (65 kg)
Ambiguity and clarification
For the sake of uniformity, most American mixed martial arts media outlets consider Featherweight competitors to be between 136 to 145 lb (61 and 66 kg). This encompasses the Pancrase Featherweight division 141 lb (64 kg) now revised to 145 lb (66 kg); U.S.-based King of the Cage (KOTC), where it is known as the bantamweight division 145 lb (66 kg); Shooto, where it is known as the lightweight division 143 lb (65 kg); the Strikeforce (defunct) women's "middleweight" division 145 lb (66 kg); the Sengoku (SRC) Featherweight division which formerly limited competitors to 143 lb (65 kg); revised to 145 lb (66 kg); the Dream Featherweight division which formerly limited competitors to 139 lb (63 kg), revised to 143.3 lb (65 kg); and the Ultimate Fighting Championship's (UFC) Featherweight division which uses the Nevada definition of "featherweight".
This table is not always up to date. Last updated on November 2, 2013.
|UFC||October 28, 2010||José Aldo||23-1 (14KO 2SUB)||5|
|Bellator MMA||November 2, 2013||Daniel Straus||22-4 (3KO 5SUB)||0|
- List of current MMA Featherweight champions
- List of UFC Featherweight Champions
- List of WEC Featherweight Champions (defunct)
- List of Pancrase Featherweight Champions
- Loiseleur, Tony (2011-04-20). "‘Dream: Fight For Japan’ Bantamweight Tournament Bracket Set". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- "Nevada Revised Statutes: CHAPTER 467 - UNARMED COMBAT". http://www.leg.state.nv.us. Retrieved 2007-02-20.
- "UNIFIED RULES OF MMA". ABCBoxing.com. Retrieved 2012-07-15.