Fort Collins Colorado Temple
|Fort Collins Colorado Temple|
Location of temple lot.
|Announcement||2 April 2011|
|Groundbreaking||24 August 2013 by
Ronald A. Rasband
|Site||11.54 acres (4.7 hectares)|
|Floor area||30,389 sq ft (2,823 m2)|
|Height||112 ft (34 m)|
|Official website• News & images|
The Fort Collins Colorado Temple is a temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) under construction in Fort Collins, Colorado. The announcement was made by church president Thomas S. Monson on April 2, 2011, during the church's semi-annual general conference.
Plans are to construct the temple on the southeast corner of the intersection at Trilby Road and Timberline Road, across the Street from an LDS chapel in Fort Collins. The new 17,000-square-foot (1,600 m2) structure in Fort Collins will serve the needs of more than 20,000 church members in Northern Colorado, Western Nebraska and Southern Wyoming.
Developers must apply to rezone the land to accommodate a structure designed to service this tri-state region. The property is currently zoned to support only homes and neighborhood centers that, act "as a focal point for neighborhood activity," and may include, "a grocery store or supermarket and other neighborhood oriented retail services." Due to an intergovermental agreement between the Larimer County and the City of Fort Collins, the developer must first pursue rezoning through Larimer County, followed by an annexation and rezoning process through the City of Fort Collins.
In November 2011 the city planning board in Fort Collins recommended anexation and rezoning of the proposed temple site. Work on the temple commenced with a groundbreaking ceremony held on August 24, 2013.
- Comparison of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by geographic region
- Temple architecture (Latter-day Saints)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Colorado
- Sterzer, Rachel (August 24, 2013), "Elder Rasband breaks ground for Fort Collins Colorado Temple", Deseret News, retrieved 2013-08-25
- "Fort Collins Colorado Temple", ldschurchtemples.com, retrieved 2 April 2011.
- "Site Announced for Fort Collins Temple", LDS Newsroom (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), retrieved 10 August 2011.
- "Church Announces New Temples in Canada, Colorado and Idaho". The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 2011-04-02. Retrieved 2011-06-30.
- Walker, Joseph (8 July 2011). Fort Collins LDS temple site announced. Published by Deseret News. Last accessed 11 July 2011
- Duff, Kathleen (3 April 2011). "Temple to be built in Fort Collins". Published by Fort Collins Coloradoan.
- Fossil Creek Reservoir Area Plan, City of Fort Collins, Colorado
- Larimer County and City of Fort Collins Intergovernmental Agreements, City of Fort Collins, Colorado
- KSL article on city planning board recommendation
- Briggs, Austin (24 August 2013). "Northern Colorado Mormons break ground on Fort Collins temple". Published by Fort Collins Coloradoan.
- Sterzer, Rachel (24 August 2013). "Elder Rasband breaks ground for Fort Collins Colorado Temple". Deseret News