FairMormon, formerly known as the Foundation for Apologetic Information & Research (FAIR), is a non-profit organization that specializes in Mormon apologetics and responds to criticism of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). FairMormon comprises volunteers who seek to answer questions submitted to its web site. It was founded in November 1997 by a group of Mormons who wanted to defend their faith. The members of FairMormon are international volunteers. FairMormon holds an annual conference where topics of current apologetic issues are presented. The organization also publishes a monthly electronic newsletter (the FairMormon Journal) and a daily news-clipping service (the FairMormon Front Page).
There is no official connection between FairMormon and the LDS Church.
At the August 2013 annual conference it was announced that the organization would change its name from FAIR to FairMormon. The reasoning was explained by Steven Densley, vice-president:
“We have changed our name and are updating our websites in order to make them more easily accessible. The name has been simplified. Instead of The Foundation for Apologetic Information and Research, it is now simply FairMormon. Hopefully this will be easier to remember and will allow us to spend more time doing apologetics rather than spending our time explaining what apologetics is. Our mission has not changed, but hopefully, with the name change and the changes with the websites, our organization will be more effective."
FairMormon is led by a president, who is elected by a board of directors, and assisted by a vice-president and secretary. The current president is Scott Gordon and the current vice-president is Steven Densley. Several editors provide submitted documents and articles with editorial review, and a bookstore is maintained to sell apologetic articles and scholarly books to the public. All of these positions are handled by volunteers. The only paid position currently associated with FairMormon is the bookstore manager, which requires part-time management.
- "FairMormon is dedicated to standing as a witness of Christ and His Restored Church.
- Our mission is to address the charges leveled at the doctrines, practices and leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) with documented responses that are written in an easily understandable style."
- "FairMormon will use current scholarship, scripture, Church doctrine, historical literature and sound logic in constructing faithful, well-reasoned answers."
FairMormon is affiliated with a number of web sites, including a blog, a wiki, and a bookstore.
blacklds is a website run by FairMormon that is geared towards black members of the church.
- Criticism of Mormonism
- Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies
- Mormon apologetics
- Mormon blogosphere
- Mormon studies
- Romney campaign puts Mormon faith in spotlight
- FAIR Sunstone conference are this week
- 2011 Fair Conference will address Controversial Issues
- "We’re not affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. However, the members of FairMormon are all committed to defending the Church and helping people to maintain their testimonies." http://www.fairmormon.org/about-fairmormon/faq-html
- FairMormon's website
- FAIR Changes Mormon Defenders Website Name
- Website defending Mormonism adopts softer name
- Mormon Faircast
- Podcast Awards 2011 winners