Foundation for Apologetic Information & Research
The Foundation for Apologetic Information & Research (FAIR) is a non-profit organization that specializes in Mormon apologetics and responds to criticism of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). FAIR is made up of volunteers who seek to answer questions submitted to its web site. It was founded in November 1997 by a group of Mormons who wanted to defend their faith. The members of FAIR are international volunteers. FAIR holds an annual conference where topics of current apologetic issues are presented. The organization also publishes a monthly electronic newsletter (the FAIR Journal) and a daily news-clipping service (the FAIR Front Page).
There is no official connection between FAIR and LDS Church.
At the August 2013 annual conference it was announced that FAIR was changing their name to FairMormon. The reasoning was explained by Steven Densley, vice-president:
“We have changed our name and are updating our websites in order to make them more easily accessible. The name has been simplified. Instead of The Foundation for Apologetic Information and Research, it is now simply FairMormon. Hopefully this will be easier to remember and will allow us to spend more time doing apologetics rather than spending our time explaining what apologetics is. Our mission has not changed, but hopefully, with the name change and the changes with the websites, our organization will be more effective."
FAIR is led by a president, who is elected by a Board of Directors, and assisted by a vice-president and secretary. The current president is Scott Gordon and the current vice-president is Steven Densley. Several editors provide submitted documents and articles with editorial review, and a bookstore is maintained to sell apologetic articles and scholarly books to the public. All of these positions are handled by volunteers. The only paid position currently associated with FAIR is the Bookstore Manager, which requires part-time management.
- "FAIR is dedicated to standing as a witness of Christ and His Restored Church.
- Our mission is to address the charges leveled at the doctrines, practices and leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) with documented responses that are written in an easily understandable style."
- "FAIR will use current scholarship, scripture, Church doctrine, historical literature and sound logic in constructing faithful, well-reasoned answers."
FAIR is affiliated with a number of web sites, including a blog, a wiki, and a bookstore.
blacklds is a website run by FAIR that is geared towards black members of the church.
- Criticism of Mormonism
- Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies
- Mormon apologetics
- Mormon blogosphere
- Mormon studies
- FAIR's website
- FAIR's blog
- FAIR's Wiki
- Mormon Voices (a site run by FAIR)
- Black LDS (a site run by FAIR)
- Romney campaign puts Mormon faith in spotlight
- FAIR Sunstone conference are this week
- 2011 Fair Conference will address Controversial Issues
- FAIR's website
- FAIR Changes Mormon Defenders Website Name
- Website defending Mormonism adopts softer name
- Mormon Faircast
- Podcast Awards 2011 winners