Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune
The play focuses on two lonely, middle-aged people whose first date ends with their tumbling into bed. Johnny is certain he has found his soul mate in Frankie. She, on the other hand, is far more cautious and disinclined to jump to conclusions. As the night unfolds, they slowly begin to reveal themselves to each other as they take tentative steps towards the possible start of a new relationship. The reference to "Clair de lune" in the title refers to a piece of music by Debussy, the third movement of the Suite bergamasque, which is a key plot element.
Production and critical reception
The play opened Off-Broadway on June 2, 1987 at Stage II of the Manhattan Theatre Club, where it ran for two weeks. Directed by Paul Benedict, the original cast starred Kathy Bates and F. Murray Abraham. On October 14, 1987 it opened at Stage I for a six-week run. Kenneth Welsh played the part of Johnny in the Stage I production. On December 4, 1987 the play transferred to the Westside Theatre, and closed on March 12, 1989. Kathy Bates was nominated for the 1987-1988 Obie Award, Outstanding Performance.
The play opened on Broadway on July 26, 2002 in previews, officially on August 8, 2002 at the Belasco Theatre. Directed by Joe Mantello, the cast starred Edie Falco and Stanley Tucci. The play closed on March 9, 2003 after 243 performances and 15 previews.
The performers had an extended period of nudity in the first act.
- McNally, Terrence. " 'Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune: A Play'" Dramatists Play Service, Inc., 1988, ISBN 0822204207, p.4
- "Listing" Internet Off-Broadway Database, accessed April 17, 2014
- Jones, Kenneth and Lefkowitz, David. "Falco Is Frankie, Tucci Is Johnny, and Their Love Story Begins July 26" playbill.com, July 26, 2002
- Listing ibdb.com, accessed April 17, 2014
- Hernandez, Ernio. "Rosie Perez and Joe Pantoliano Officially Bow as Bway's 'Frankie and Johnny' Jan. 30" playbill.com, January 30, 2003
- Jones, Kenneth. "Just the Facts: List of 2003 Tony Award Winners" playbill.com, June 8, 2003
- Finkle, David. "Reviews. 'Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune'" theatermania.com, August 8, 2002
- Rich, Frank (October 28, 1987). "FRANKIE AND JOHNNY IN THE CLAIR DE LUNE - Review - Theater". The New York Times (theater.nytimes.com).