Friend is an unincorporated community in Wasco County, Oregon, United States. Considered a ghost town, little remains of the community except the Friend Store, a one-room schoolhouse, and a cemetery.
Friend was the end of the line on the Great Southern Railroad. The line was built in 1908 from Dufur which connected to The Dalles. The depot was closed and service ended on January 5, 1928; the line was abandoned in 1935. Few signs of the track still exist.
This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Friend has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated "Csb" on climate maps.
- USGenWeb Tombstone Transcription Project:Wasco County
- McArthur, Lewis A.; Lewis L. McArthur (2003) . Oregon Geographic Names (Seventh Edition ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. p. 385. ISBN 0-87595-277-1.
- Railroad Commission of Oregon (1913). Annual report of the Railroad Commission of Oregon to the governor. The Commission. p. 165. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
- See topographic map. Accessdate 2011-01-13.
- Climate Summary for Friend, Oregon
- Image of Friend, Oregon schoolhouse
- Historic image of abandoned building in Friend from Salem Public Library
|This Wasco County, Oregon state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|