Garland High School
|Garland High School|
|310 S. Garland Avenue
Garland, Texas Dallas County, 75040-6151
|School type||Public high school|
|Motto||Enter to Learn, Go Forth to Serve|
|School district||Garland Independent School District|
|Superintendent||Bob Morrison Ed.D|
|Assistant principals||Rick Brandenburg
|Color(s)||Black & Gold|
|Website||Garland High School|
Garland High School is a public secondary school located in Garland, Texas (USA). Garland High School enrolls students in grades 9-12 and is a part of the Garland Independent School District. The school is a member of the AP program, the IB program, and is known for its football team, the Garland Owls.
Garland High School was founded 1902. It is the oldest of the district's high schools, having celebrated its 100-year anniversary in the 2001-2002 school year. The school celebrated its 70th anniversary at the current location (referring to the current building) in the 2006-2007 school year. Garland High School is also the Arts Magnet for the District with its Performing Arts Endorsement Program, and also renowned for its International Baccalaureate program.
The school attracts many students from around the city because of its variety of rigorous academic programs such as the IB program and long history.
- IB Art - Students study art and design and are evaluated towards their final years on the merits of their Investigation Workbooks or art portfolio. This is followed by an art show and allows for students to independently evaluate themselves during the process.
School of Performing Arts
The School of Performing Arts was approved by the GISD School Board. Graduates of the School of Performing Arts receive the Performing Arts Endorsement, sequence of courses designed for the artistically gifted/talented student and offers the opportunity to concentrate on the Performing Arts and gain proficiency in chosen areas of concentration during the high school years, much as a Music or Theatre Major does in college.
Upon completion of the prescribed course of study, a Performing Arts Endorsement shall be awarded to the student. This endorsement will accompany their official transcript, along with an explanation of the endorsement and its criteria, and will become applicable to university study or future professional endeavors. The Performing Arts Endorsement has been reviewed by both university and secondary administration. It has received praise for both its inclusiveness and its practicality.
Performing Arts Endorsement Types
- Instrumental - Band
- Instrumental - Orchestra
- Vocal Music
- Piano Performance
- Theatre Arts - Performance
- Theatre Arts- Technical
- Classical Guitar
Note that IB Theatre and PAE are two different things but may also be done concurrently.
The drill team, the Dashing Debs, is rich in tradition, being the oldest drill team in the district, and one of the oldest in the state. Every halftime, the Debs start out their performance with their traditional kick routine, "Showbiz". At the homecoming game, the Debs traditionally perform a routine to "Pass Me By." And lastly, at every playoff game, they wear their traditional uniform and perform to "Olympia," which many of the fans and students just know as "the circle routine." The school year 2010-2011 marks the 65th anniversary of the Dashing Debs.
Garland High School has one of the most profound legacies of any school in its district, with its football team having won several state championships during its lifetime. In addition to football, Garland High School offers baseball, basketball, cross country, Dashing Debs (also known as the Drill Team), golf, gymnastics, marching band, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track, and volleyball. Garland is the only high school in its district to offer a swimming team. Garland is part of the UIL Class 5A for the 2013-2014 school year, but will be reclassified under UIL Class 6A Region 2 District 11 for the 2014-2015 school year.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (January 2011)|
- Mookie Blaylock, Former NBA point guard for the New Jersey Nets, Atlanta Hawks, and Golden State Warriors, attendedOklahoma
- Johnny Yong Bosch, voice actor
- Bobby Boyd, 5 time All-Pro NFL defensive back for the Baltimore Colts and member of the all-decade team during the 1960s, attended Oklahoma
- Ike Diogu, Power Forward/Center for the Golden State Warriors, attended Arizona State and was 2 time Pac-10 player of the year
- Chuck Dicus, NFL wide receiver for the San Diego Chargers in the late 1960s and early 1970s and member of College Football Hall of Fame, attended Arkansas
- Mike Gandy, Arizona Cardinals offensive lineman, played in Super Bowl XLIII, also played for the Chicago Bears and Buffalo Bills, attended Notre Dame
- David Koresh, leader of the Branch Davidians (see Waco Siege) (did not graduate)
- Randy Love, Former NFL running back for the St. Louis Cardinals from 1979–1985, attended University of Houston
- Uzooma Okeke, Award winning CFL offensive lineman, attended SMU
- Ricky Pierce, Former 2 time NBA 6th man of the year, attended Rice
- Herkie Walls, NFL, European, Arena League running back, attended Texas
- Karl Williams, NFL, AFL, 9 year veteran for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Arizona Cardinals from 1996-2004. Also played in the Arena Football League for the Tampa Bay Storm, attended Texas A&I (now known as Texas A&M Kingsville).
- GISD Leadership
- http://www.garlandisd.net/webcentral/staff/index.cfm?SchoolCode=GHS. Retrieved on 19 January 2008
- Garland ISD: School Spirit & History
- Garland Landmark Society - Photo Gallery - Schools Sports Entertainment
- [dead link]
- Performing Arts Faq
- Actors In Spandex - Johnny Yong Bosch
- Obituary: David Koresh - People - News - The Independent
- GISD website
- Garland Owls Baseball website
- Garland High School
- Organizations Website
- Dashing Debs website
- Mighty Owl Band Website
- Garland High School Swim Team Website
- Garland High School Arts Endorsement Website
- Garland High School Orchestra Website
- Garland Owl Debate's website