|Shuker at Chatham House in 2013|
|Member of Parliament
for Luton South
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Margaret Moran|
10 October 1981 |
Luton, Bedfordshire, England
|Political party||Labour Co-operative|
|Alma mater||Girton College, Cambridge|
Gavin Shuker (born 10 October 1981) is an English Labour Co-operative politician, who has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Luton South since 2010. Shuker successfully defended the seat after his predecessor Margaret Moran stood down following controversy over her expenses. He is a member of the Christian Socialist Movement and was previously leader of City Life Church in Luton: a 2006-formed offshoot of City Life Church in Cambridge, and part of the Plumbline family of churches.
A Lutonian, Shuker was educated at two state schools: Icknield Primary and Icknield High School. He was head boy at the latter. He then attended Luton Sixth Form College before going on acquire a degree in Social and Political Sciences  at Girton College, Cambridge.
In May 2010 he won the seat in Luton South. In October 2010, he was appointed PPS to the Shadow Secretary of State for Justice, Sadiq Khan, and was appointed to the transport select committee. In March 2011 he was promoted again to become Shadow Minister at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. In March 2012, Shuker was one of three MPs who signed a letter sent to the Advertising Standards Authority asking it to reverse its decision to stop the Christian group "Healing on the Streets of Bath" from making explicit claims that prayer can heal. The letter called for the ASA to provide indisputable scientific evidence that such healing did not work. In the October 2013 reshuffle, he was shifted to the Shadow International Development team.
His political interests include child poverty, student funding, transport policy, international development and debt reduction.
- "Democracy Live: Gavin Suker MP". BBC News.
- BBC, 7 May 2010, Luton South
- Biography from the Christian Socialist Movement.
- Pidd, Helen (7 May 2010). "UK election results 2010: Esther Rantzen fails to win Luton South". The Guardian (London).
- "BBC Democracy Live:Gavin Shuker MP". BBC news. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- Politics Points East, 10 March 2011
- "Tim Farron: 'Prayer Can Heal' Letter Was A Mistake". Huffington Post UK. 29 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Current session contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Luton South
2010 – present