Geoff Lawton is a permaculture consultant, designer and teacher. He holds a certificate in permaculture design given by the founder of the permaculture design science, Bill Mollison. Since 1995 he has specialized in permaculture education, design, implementation, system establishment, administration and community development.
Since 1985, Lawton has undertaken a large number of jobs consulting, designing, teaching and implementing in over thirty countries around the world. Clients have included private individuals, groups, communities, governments, aid organizations, non-governmental organizations and multinational companies.
Lawton's aim is to establish self-replicating educational demonstration sites. He has currently educated over 6,000 students in permaculture worldwide. Lawton's 'master plan' is to see aid projects being replicated as fast as possible to help ameliorate the growing food and water crisis.
Lawton is good friends with John Dennis Liu, a Chinese American film-maker and ecologist who documented large scale ecological recovery in the Loess plateau, China after a government project set to rehabilitate an area the size of Belgium. Lawton appears in Liu's documentry Hope In a Changing Climate.
Permaculture Research Institute
In October 1997 Bill Mollison, upon his retirement, asked Geoff to establish and direct a new permaculture research institute on the 147-acre (0.59 km2) Tagari Farm. Lawton developed the site over a period of three years and established The Permaculture Research Institute as a global networking centre for permaculture projects. The institute is a non-profit company limited by guarantee. It is currently located at Zaytuna Farm at The Channon in Northern NSW, Australia where Lawton is managing director.
The institute has since founded PRI USA, which is a registered charity - a tax-exempt organization under §501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Other permaculture research institutes that have been launched or are in the process of being launched include: PRI Jordan, PRI Canada, PRI Chile, PRI Turkey and PRI Afghanistan.
- Brick & Tile Permaculture, Permaculture International Journal
- The Sleeping Jaguar (co-author), Permaculture International Journal
- Ecuador (co-author), Permaculture International Journal
- Permaculture Aid in the Balkans, Permaculture International Journal
- Future Food Security, Green Connections
Harvesting Water the Permaculture Way (2007) Establishing a Food Forest (2008) Introduction to Permaculture Design (2009) Permaculture Soils (2010) Urban Permaculture (2011)
- Forest gardening
- Paul Wheaton
- Sepp Holzer
- Bill Mollison
- David Holmgren
- Allan Savory
- Mike Oehler
- Diana Leafe Christian
- Masanobu Fukuoka
- Toby Hemenway
- Willie Smits
- Elaine Ingham
- The Permaculture Research Institute
- The Worldwide Permaculture Network
- Greening the Desert - Dramatic example of permaculture at work, as implemented by Geoff Lawton.
- Greening the Desert II - the follow-up to the above project.
- Permaculture Master Plan - Permaculture Centers Worldwide.
- Video Tour of Geoff Lawton's Zaytuna Farm (Apr/May 2012)
- Video Tour of Geoff Lawton's Zaytuna Farm (Mar/Apr 2013)
- The Permaculture Research Institute of Greece
- The Permaculture Research Institute of Turkey
- The Permaculture Research Institute Sunshine Coast
- The Permaculture Research Institute of Arabia
- Permaculture Across Borders