George MacKinnon Wrong
|George MacKinnon Wrong|
June 25, 1860|
Grovesend in Elgin County, Canada West
|Died||June 29, 1948
|Other names||George McKinnon Wrong|
|Employer||University of Toronto|
|Spouse(s)||Sophia Hume Blake, the daughter of Edward Blake|
|Children||Margaret Christian Wrong, Edward Murray Wrong, Harold Verschoyle Wrong, H. H. Wrong, and Agnes Honoria Wrong|
Born at Grovesend in Elgin County, Canada West (now Ontario), he was ordained in the Anglican priesthood in 1883 after attending Wycliffe College. In 1894, as successor to Sir Daniel Wilson, he was appointed professor and head of the Department of History at the University of Toronto. He retired in 1927.
Wrong was a long-time friend of Vincent Massey. He "assumed his ecclesiastical robes" in 1915 to assist in Massey's marriage to Alice Parkin. Wrong owned a property near Canton, Ontario. Massey bought the adjacent property in 1918 and converted it into his principal residence, Batterwood House, in 1927.
- missionary Margaret Christian Wrong (1887–1948)
- historian and Oxford academic Edward Murray Wrong (1889–1928)
- British Army officer Harold Verschoyle Wrong (born 1891 and killed in action in the 1916 Battle of the Somme during World War I)
- diplomat Humphrey Hume Wrong (1894–1954)
- Charles Wrong
- Agnes Honoria Wrong
The historian Rosalind Mitchison was his grand-daugther by Edwin.
All of the Wrong children and their father were graduates of the University of Toronto.
- The Conquest of New France (1910)
- The Fall of Canada (1914)
- The United States and Canada: A Political Study (1921)
- The Rise and Fall of New France (1928)
- Britain's History (1929)
- Canada and the American Revolution: The Disruption of the First British Empire (1935)
- "WRONG, George MacKinnon". Who's Who 59: 1943. 1907.
- Milligan, Frank (2004). Eugene A. Forsey: An Intellectual Biography. University of Calgary Press. pp. 19–20. ISBN 978-1-55238-118-2. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- Murray Wrong and his three brothers and two sisters. wellcomeimages.org
- "Annual Report 2004-2005". University of Toronto Archives and Records Management Services.
- Brouwer, Ruth Compton (2002). "Modern Women Modernizing Men". UBC Press. ISBN 0774809531.
- "January through February 1928 Extractions of names for Births, Marriages, Deaths and Burials. Extracted and transcribed by members of the Elgin OGS". St. Thomas Times-Journal.
- "Lieutenant Harold V. Wrong". Commonwealth War Graves Commissioner Debt of Honour Register.
- Charles Wrong, brother of Murray Wrong, aged 87. wellcomeimages.org
- Damien-Claude Bélanger (2004). "George MacKinnon (George M.) Wrong". The Quebec History Encyclopedia. Retrieved March 16, 2006.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to George MacKinnon Wrong.|
- Works written by or about George MacKinnon Wrong at Wikisource
- George MacKinnon Wrong at The Canadian Encyclopedia
- The University of Toronto Archives and Record Management Services holds the papers of the George M. Wrong Family, as well as those papers connecting him with the family of Edward Blake.