|• Mayor||Franz Holtgrewe (CDU)|
|• Total||97.48 km2 (37.64 sq mi)|
|Elevation||104 m (341 ft)|
|• Density||210/km2 (550/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Dialling codes||02942, 02954 (Eringerfeld), 02941 (Ermsinghausen)|
It is situated approximately 12 km south-east of Lippstadt and 20 km south-west of Paderborn. The city is located at the Hellweg and B1. Further south in Steinhausen is the motorway that leads to the A44 (Dortmund-Kassel). In Ahden in Paderborn administrative district is the Paderborn / Lippstadt Airport.
Division of the town
After the local government reforms of 1975 Geseke consists of 8 boroughs:
- Geseke (14.451 inhabitants)
- Bönninghausen (105 inhabitants)
- Ehringhausen (1.628 inhabitants)
- Eringerfeld (494 inhabitants)
- Ermsinghausen (70 inhabitants)
- Langeneicke (1.174 inhabitants)
- Mönninghausen (841 inhabitants)
- Störmede (2.316 inhabitants)
Landmarks and Culture
Geseke has many associations, music societies in particular. There is a shanty choir, a church choir (youth choir and adult choir), a Gospel choir and various school choirs. The youth choir of the church has already made several excursions (e.g. to Lübeck, Hamburg or Berlin). The auditorium of the high school is also used for music events.
Situated at the Hellweg, the city museum informs about the city's history and provides various facts about Geseke.
Monuments, churches and buildings
- The Church of St. Peter (city church) that is located directly at the market square, the pedestrian zone and the city park. The church is not always open to the public; during the fairs, however, the opening hours are extended.
- The Church of St. Cyriacus (Collegiate Church) is a pilgrimage church connected to the Virgin Mary.
- Other churches are the Church of St. Mary, a relatively new church, and the monastery church of St. John the Baptist.
- The Old Town Hall contains meeting rooms and the Catholic Library.
Squares and Parks
Near the town church and the center of the city you will find the city park. There you can sit on benches, walking and indulge in the café Troholte. The house was then Troholte a listed monument or actually just a shack. Now it has been used as a cafe. The park has a playground with various toys and a place where you can use solid sports equipment. Geseke also has a water wheel, which is close to the church. The Geseker pond is also close to this church. In the marketplace there is space for parking and a well. There is also the market place and an ice cream shop, and a bakery, a breakfast cafe and a pharmacy are within easy reach. In the shopping area you will find shoes and clothes, and the Noltenhof is not far from it. The Noltenhof is parking. Parking is free throughout Geseke. At Disconter Geseke still offers the Edeka, Aldi, Lidl, Netto and Penny. With the SB-market you can get games and movies, at Euronics however televisions and other electronic devices.
- The first Thursday in May in Geseke the "Geseker Gösselkirmes" instead. This event is a fun fair with lots of colorful carousel, lottery booths and food stalls. Then of course there is also a parade in which the one sitting on the brightly painted wagons, go behind or simply watch. The school children who march along the way, get free tickets. Therefore, it is very crowded on Saturdays, since the move is the culmination of the event and the children get their free tickets. In addition to the rides and the parade there are still some open-air events.
- At Pentecost, the citizens have their shooters shooting match. (Bürgerschützenfest)
- On the first weekend in July, the Sebastianers shooters have their shooting match. (Sebastianer Schützenfest)
- Lobetag first to find a fair held in the abbey church, then the "Sacred Heart of Jesus" once worn around the wall. There is a huge procession with acolytes, priests and citizens. At the roundabout on the "road Bürener" / B1 is briefly stopped and prayed. There are other points on which is prayed briefly.
- It will also take another procession.
- On the second weekend in June, the "Weinfest" (in English: Wine Festival). Here people can taste and buy wine.
- In September, the "Hexenstadtfest" (in English: Witch City Festival). There are small stalls and food stalls and other attractions. Since it handet here to a festival, there are no rides, or just for the kids. Finally, it is not fair.
- In December, the "Weihnachtsmarkt" (in English: Christmas market) is held. At that time he was on the market, now it is around the house Troholte (the city park) built at Christmas time.
- There are regular pilgrimages in the collegiate church. (Maria Schuss - Mary shot)
- St. Mary's Primary School
- Dr. Adenauer primary school
- Alfred Delp primary school
- Pancras Primary School in Störmede
- Edith Stein full-time secondary school (Hauptschule in German)
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer Secondary School (Realschule in German)
- Secondary school Geseke (real and main school is summarized in a (secondary) school.) (Since the beginning of the school year 13/14 (2013))
- high school Antonianum (Gymnasium in German)
- School in Eringerfeld
- Municipal Music School
Geseke is twinned with:
An episode of "Die Super-Nanny" was shot in Geseke (Störmede/Stoermede)
- Official site (German)
- Origin/Ursprung (more than any 'Geseker' could know - English)
- German Wikipedia Link for Geseke
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Geseke.|