Girls! Girls! Girls!
|Girls! Girls! Girls!|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Norman Taurog|
|Produced by||Hal B. Wallis|
|Screenplay by||Edward Anhalt|
|Story by||Allan Weiss|
|Music by||Joseph J. Lilley|
|Edited by||Stanley E. Johnson|
Hal Wallis Productions
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Running time||106 minutes|
|Box office||$2,600,000 (USA)|
Girls! Girls! Girls! is a 1962 American musical comedy film starring Elvis Presley as a penniless Hawaiian fisherman who loves his life on the sea and dreams of owning his own boat. "Return to Sender", which reached #2 on the Billboard pop singles chart, is featured in the movie. The movie opened at #6 on the Variety box office chart and finished the year at #31 on the year-end list of the top-grossing movies of 1962. The movie earned $2.5 million at the box office.
The film was shot on location in Hawaii.
Elvis Presley plays Ross Carpenter, a Hawaiian fishing guide and sailor who enjoys boating and sailing out on the sea. When he finds out his boss is retiring to Arizona, he seeks to find a way to buy the Westwind, a boat that he built with his father.
Ross is caught in a love triangle with two women: childish, insensitive club singer Robin (Stella Stevens), and sweet Laurel (Laurel Goodwin). When Wesley Johnson (Jeremy Slate) makes advances on Laurel, Ross punches him out. Wesley owns the boat, so Ross thereby loses it. Laurel, however, is not who she pretends to be. Ross has to choose between her and Robin.
- Elvis Presley as Ross Carpenter
- Stella Stevens as Robin Gantner
- Laurel Goodwin as Laurel Dodge
- Jeremy Slate as Wesley Johnson
- Benson Fong as Kin Yung
- Robert Strauss as Sam Anderson
- Ann McCrea as Mrs. Arthur Morgan (uncredited)
- Jack Nitzsche as Piano Player in Lounge Band (uncredited)
- Nestor Paiva as Arthur Morgan (uncredited)
- Linda Rand as Village Woman (uncredited)
- Edward Sheehan as Ed-Man on Dock (uncredited)
- Red West as Bongo-Playing Crewman on Tuna Boat (uncredited)
During the filming of Carpenter's rescue of Laurel from Johnson aboard the Westwind via a small motor boat, both craft are moving at the same rate of speed in fairly rough water. After hopping down into the smaller boat, it begins to pull away when apparently something goes wrong. It gets stuck in front of the much larger sail boat where it is clearly run over. The shot cuts away just before the small boat goes under. The stuntmen can be clearly seen reaching up to try to keep the sailboat from running over the smaller boat. It then jumps to a shot of the motor boat behind the sail boat heading back to shore.
Awards and nominations
- Golden Globes: Nominated for Best Motion Picture - Musical at the 1963 ceremony. The winner that year was The Music Man. Elvis Presley received a 2nd place Laurel Award for the best male performance in a musical for his acting role in this movie.
Girls! Girls! Girls! earned $2,600,000 at the box office in the United States
- Elvis in Hawaii fansite.
- Girls! Girls! Girls! at the Internet Movie Database
- Girls! Girls! Girls! at the TCM Movie Database
- Girls! Girls! Girls! at AllMovie
- Review of the movie collection "Lights! Camera! Elvis! Collection (King Creole, Blue Hawaii, G.I. Blues, Fun in Acapulco, Roustabout, Girls! Girls! Girls!, Paradise, Hawaiian Style, Easy Come, Easy Go) by Paul Mavis at DVD Talk, August 6, 2007.
- Review by Jon Danziger at digitallyOBSESSED!, February 3, 2003.